Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water quality questions

Devynb1091

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new hear and I thought I had my tank set up figured out, but I've run into a few problems. I apologize for the length of this post.

Firstly, I have cloudy water. My tank has been set up for 5 days now and my water is still cloudy. I'm currently attempting to cycle the tank. I've been adding shrimp pellets and Top Fin Bacterial Supplement for 2 days now and my ammonia has gone up from zero to .50. No nitrites or nitrates yet though. So hopefully I'm on the right path. I've been doing 20% water changes every other day as well but the cloudiness persists. I know it isn't from my sand being dirty because me mixing it up does not make the tank any cloudier. I thoroughly rinsed all of the decorations I placed in the tank as well. I'm worried that it may be my water supply. I tested the pH yesterday and it was a rather high 8.2. Also, I can see deposits from where droplets have evaporated from. What can I do about this?

Everything else seems to be fine though. I've stopped the flow from the HOB filter with a little basket filled with bio sponge. I have a few fake plants, a hide, a 4 inch air stone, and one live plant tied to a rock that will hopefully root soon. My temperature has stayed between 68-70 for the whole 5 days. I plan on getting a fan to improve cooling as well.

Extra Info: I have a 20 gallon long and do not have any axies yet. I want my tank to be well established first. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 178

B3llaax3

Reaction score
I would do bigger water changes... That usually helps the cloudiness go away... I would do at least 50% water change every other day till you see improvement... Also throwing food into the tank with no one eating that will also cause your ammonia to go up, so I would put a hold on that...

EJgraydon

Reaction score
Are you conditioning the water before you add it? If not then it could be from the chlorine evaporating out of it, otherwise I don't see your water source being a problem

Devynb1091

Reaction score
So should I take care of the cloudiness before I cycle? The reason I'm increasing ammonia with the addition of the food is to give the bacteria the "food" they need to complete the nitrogen cycle.

And yes, I am conditioning the water with API Tap Water Conditioner. I usually fill my bucket with four gallons of water, condition it, and then let it sit for a few hours so the water temp change isn't drastic. I then take four gallons out and add the conditioned water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1