Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planted tank? Help

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I want to do a planted tank for my axies... Make a new adventure for them so they won't be so bored in the tank as I only have to wood pieces and a mossball in their tank... They occasionaly play around with the mossball but I feel like if I have it planted it won't be as boring for them.. Maybe have a lot of plants in there but still have space for them to swimm/move around...

What do you guys think?

What are the best plants for them and do the plants need some type of fertilizing supplements to keep the alive...

Need the 411 on planted tanks and axies lol...

Kerry M

Reaction score
Have a look on the Axolotl Sanctuary website. There is a very informative section on Axolotl Friendly Aquascaping.

FX1C

Reaction score
Personally I tried planting some plants into substrate without much success.
I have now only got plants that are attached to driftwood, large rocks, hung from cross members & tied around driftwood branches. Anubias, Java Fern & Java or Peacock Mosses are all great & tolerate very low lights. My tank still looks "planted" but it doesn't matter that I don't have any substrate & if I do put sand in it will be easy to move the plants for cleaning under or rearranging. Also the depth of substrate no longer matters you can have 1" deep sand / bare bottom & still have plants :)

There's lots of pics of my tanks on my threads but here's a couple of examples with & without substrate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361844201.321275.jpg
My 6ft currently bare bottomed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361844335.518548.jpg
My 2ft with sand - the 2 bunches of rush grass were weighted & poked into the front corners

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1