How to euthanize a dying axo

OllieC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My poor little guy is 1 year old and has some kind of scrape on his belly and his liver is hanging out of his body. I can't afford the vet bills and I've tried to do something myself but I'm just causing him pain and i dont want him to suffer anymore. So how do I put him out of his suffering? Please be nice guys, I'm a little upset about it as you might imagine.

Thanks

I've read about the alcohol way of doing it, 5% alcohol bath for 20-30 mins anaesthetises it and then a bath in a 'stronger' batch finally does the deed. Is this correct? How much is 'stronger'?

Honestly, I think a more humane way to euthanize to axolotl would be a quick blow to the head.

For actual euthanization you would need ethanol, not home rubbing alcohol. To leave the axolotl suffering while you went to retrieve that would be far crueler than ending its life simply. When I read your earlier post my first thought was actually euthanizing it, but having not seen the wound I figured a vet visit would be best, where they would be able to euthanize it if needed.

Unfortunately, the issue with a forum post is that you will have to leave the animal suffering. A painless form of euthanization may take some hours for someone to reply on, in which case in my personal and non-veterinary opinion I would say to end its life as quickly and cleanly as possible. This is an option if you choose.

I feel I should note at the end that I have set traps in the field filled with a 75% ethanol dilution for studies documenting biodiversity. Animals that were also euthanized in this solution included mice and newts. (the mice on accident, though, we were looking at insects and amphibians). So I'm not just throwing stuff out of the blue. Home euthanasia in this case should try not to leave the animal suffering more than it needs to.

Last edited:
My heart goes out to you. I agree that the quickest way is often the best.

Good luck

If you decide to use ethanol, it should be available at a hardware store.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back