Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello All!

Ralphie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was really happy to find this website and forum. On Valentines Day I took my two children to Build-A-Bear, and right outside the door a man had a kiosk selling "Baby Dinos".
Anyhow, I wanted to make sure I provide the best care for our new pet, and found this site after googling "baby dinosaurs at mall" or something along those lines.

This is our first amphibian pet, but we do have a bearded dragon and an African Sulcata Tortoise. We named our salamander Ralphie. I have some concerns about him, so I will be posting for some help soon. I attached a photo of him (hopefully I did it right), so please correct me if I am wrong about him being a tiger.

Thank you!

Nicole

Attachments

• print6.jpg
    print6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 118

frogman

Reaction score
He looks like a Sonoran tiger salamander, but I could be wrong. Either his gills are ammonia burnt to he is beginning metomorphosis. I am guessing ammonia burnt though. He sure is pretty though.

Ralphie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Frogman. Now I will have to look up what ammonia burnt is. The poor guy is not doing so well. I am thinking he is suffering from ingesting gravel. He was sold in a tiny tank full of it(I put him in a gravel free tank right away - same goes for a bearded dragon). Another member here gave me a tip on how to treat that, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

littleh

Reaction score
HI Nocole,

I havent as yet got my first axolotyl but would really like your type. I too want to do right by my new pet, when i get him, so am too happy to have found this site.
I hope he's better soon.
:eek:

Ralphie

Reaction score
HI Nocole,

I havent as yet got my first axolotyl but would really like your type. I too want to do right by my new pet, when i get him, so am too happy to have found this site.
I hope he's better soon.
:eek:

Hey littleh, thank you! I hope you find the right one for you. Seems like there is a lot of great info here, and a lot of members who can help out and lend advice.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Frogman, I highly doubt it's a Sonoran tiger. For one, they're local to only a tiny area in Arizona, and two, they're Federally endangered. Also, it looks nothing like a Sonoran tiger salamander.

It will be whatever your local tiger species is, either A. tigrinum or mavortium.

Last edited:

littleh

Reaction score
I must say Nicole your Ralphie is the best one I've seen so far, and i've seen quite a few. Actually, i want Ralphie lol :blob:

Ralphie

Reaction score
I must say Nicole your Ralphie is the best one I've seen so far, and i've seen quite a few. Actually, i want Ralphie lol :blob:

Hi littleh! Thank you and I hope you can exactly what you are looking for. Any luck so far?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1