How do I know when my axolotl is fully mature?

Lemi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cassi
I've had my wild gfp axolotl for a month and a half. She was about two inches when I bought her. She is now just about five inches. I noticed today that the toes were a bit lighter than they'd ever been before. I've had two and I've not noticed much growth after the toes changing color.
But she's just barely five inches. Is she going to be small her whole life? I would love to start breeding, but is the fact that she (if in fact this is a she) is so small going to harm her?
How much did your axolotls grow after you noticed the change? Do you have pictures of your wild type maturing?

When toes change color it means that they are growing up, not mature. Don't try and breed it until it is at least 8-9 inches. She will keep growing but at a slower rate. Now 5 inches is just a little guy so don't get any ideas about breeding yet. Best of luck with him. I'd like to see pics.

I'm not stupid, I had no intention of breeding her right now. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. I just can't find much information on the toes changing color.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across like that. I thought for some reason you were already trying to breed them. Good luck with him.

Oh no, definitely not yet.
My other one is over ten inches; I'm still afraid he might attack my new one. They're still separate. I also don't know if my new one is a girl. Looks like one, but I probably won't know for a few months at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back