"Dinosaur Babies"

Ralphie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nicole
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

I have been upset ever since Valentines Day when I went to the mall and saw "baby dinos" for sale at a kiosk. From what I now know, most appeared to be tiger salamanders, one of which I brought home.

First of all, the seller told me that they could spend their lives in the tiny tank they were sold in. Anyone would know that is not true. Well, they should know. That would be like stuffing a person into an airplane bathroom and shoving some crackers at them and saying, "Here, enjoy the rest of your days,BAHAHAHA".

Then, I overhear him telling other customers that these salamander larvae can play outside their tanks for ten minutes at a time(customers with small children like my own). And he goes on to say that they will not grow, and will spend the rest of their lives (he says 7-8 years) in the same tank.

Not really wanting another pet (already have a bearded dragon, african sulcata tortoise and the regular household pets) I felt so bad for these little things that I had to bring one home! I already have experience with reptiles and although it is totally different, I know enough to know that a salamander larvae will not survive in the conditions they were sold in. For example, a bearded dragon can not live with gravel either because they will ingest it and become impacted.

Anyways, I googled something like "baby dinos at mall" to find out what in the world I had, and found this site. Is this something that is becoming common...selling these at malls? And this is ok, for people to sell these giving completely wrong instructions to customers, so that the salamanders just die? So that some a parent like myself can let a child take it out of the tank and play with it while it is in the larval stage? (And lets remember, the seller is telling customers this "baby dino" will always be in a tank. He mentions nothing about morphing) I asked the seller how his biz does, and he told me he sells out every single day by the late afternoon. That says a lot.

The photos are of some "dinos" at the kiosk, and then Ralphie at home.

Attachments

• print5.jpg
    print5.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 20,163
  • print33.jpg
    print33.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 5,823
I think it's immoral and if it's not illegal it certainly should be. My heart bleeds for the poor things :cry:

Are there no animal protection authorities you can report them to? 7-8 years in that tank, yeah right!

Is it a shop or a temporary shop? By giving false information they must be breaking some legislation.

Complaining to authorities likely wont get you anywhere. Dont buy from people if you dont agree with their business. When you buy one and "save" it, youre putting cash in their pocket to buy more to sell.

Are there no animal protection authorities you can report them to? 7-8 years in that tank, yeah right!

I would hope most people who buy them have the common sense to realize there is no way they could live in those tanks for that long! That is probably hoping for too much though!

Is it a shop or a temporary shop? By giving false information they must be breaking some legislation.

Sean it is a temp shop, just one of the many kiosks selling stuff along the hallways inside the mall. Clearly the target customer were young kids cause the seller set up directly in front of Build A Bear.

I sent the mall an email but the next time I am there, Ill drop by the kiosk and ask the guy if he even knows what he is selling and why he is not giving at least somewhat correct info on them. Not sure that he is breaking any legislation but I will look into it.

Complaining to authorities likely wont get you anywhere. Dont buy from people if you dont agree with their business. When you buy one and "save" it, youre putting cash in their pocket to buy more to sell.

You are right Jess. In hindsight I feel bad supporting this guys business. Since he claims he sells out everyday, apparently plenty of people are buying them.

Has anyone else seen these for sale in malls? I was under the impression that they were being sold in different areas around the country. The care sheet has "US Aquatics" on top, with a number 405-769-3117.

Ino that pet stores have to follow struck licensing but I have heard there is some loop holes in the animal industry.

It sickens me to see animals getting treated so badly, and customers getting so badly informed. I personally would ask the vendor if he's aware that the animal will drown when it morphs (preferably when there's a lot of people within earshot), but I like to 'talk people into a corner' so to speak.

Angie, it is pretty sick knowing that many will probably die. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them end up getting tossed in creeks or ponds when the owners realize its not just some toy. If someone is going to sell them the least they can do is educate themselves and their customers. I like your idea and thought about doing that! Except I would probably also mention something about how he tells customers that their kids can take them out of the tank and play with them. And the gravel issue.

Unfortunately, 'baby dinosaurs' are pretty common anywhere tiger sals are common.

It would be nice if he at least gave out correct information.

Hey Nicole and every one else. My name is John and I'm the owner of a local aquarium store in the same area you bought your "dinosaurs babies". My girlfriend also works for a local petco. Both of us have seen 5-10 of these tiger salamanders coming into the store daily because people don't know how to take care of them. Two of them left behind with us and now were taking care of them.
Thankfully we like them and will take care of these two, and probably more to come in the future as people drop them off not wanting to send for a new tank. I just wanted to let you know your not the only one that thinks this is terrible. I got the mans number from one of my customers and called him. He travels malls selling them, and was recently in homa before baton rouge. He told me on the phone in less than 3 weeks he sold over 700 salamanders and 500 in homa. Unfortiently the damage is done and he is gone from our mall to do trouble else were. There has been many complaints with him at the mall and he's moved on. However we can't stop him from doing it in the next place.

Hopefully people will find there way here. I know my girlfriend is spreading the word as I am in my shop.

Hey Nicole and every one else. My name is John and I'm the owner of a local aquarium store in the same area you bought your "dinosaurs babies". My girlfriend also works for a local petco. Both of us have seen 5-10 of these tiger salamanders coming into the store daily because people don't know how to take care of them. Two of them left behind with us and now were taking care of them.
Thankfully we like them and will take care of these two, and probably more to come in the future as people drop them off not wanting to send for a new tank. I just wanted to let you know your not the only one that thinks this is terrible. I got the mans number from one of my customers and called him. He travels malls selling them, and was recently in homa before baton rouge. He told me on the phone in less than 3 weeks he sold over 700 salamanders and 500 in homa. Unfortiently the damage is done and he is gone from our mall to do trouble else were. There has been many complaints with him at the mall and he's moved on. However we can't stop him from doing it in the next place.

Hopefully people will find there way here. I know my girlfriend is spreading the word as I am in my shop.

Hey John, thanks for the reply. I am not surprised that people are dropping by to find out more info. Hopefully you do not end up with too many on your hands! Do you sell these at your shop? I went to the Seigen Petco to buy the aquarium and filter and other supplies I needed. I usually go there for stuff for our dragon and tortoise.

I can't believe that he sold so many in under three weeks, but he did tell me he sells out daily. Glad to hear people were raising concerns with the mall, and good for you for calling him!

Yea I'm glad he's gone. I don't sell these guys. My shop is a full saltwater aquarium shop. But I know a lot about a lot of animals so I'm not surprise a few my customer brough them to me for info.
I like them so I don't mind ending up with them. I rather them end with me or my girlfriend instead of let go or left to die somewhere : ( I'll keep ya posted with how many I get. If I get to many I'll be rehoming them: )

Yea I'm glad he's gone. I don't sell these guys. My shop is a full saltwater aquarium shop. But I know a lot about a lot of animals so I'm not surprise a few my customer brough them to me for info.
I like them so I don't mind ending up with them. I rather them end with me or my girlfriend instead of let go or left to die somewhere : ( I'll keep ya posted with how many I get. If I get to many I'll be rehoming them: )

I got mine from the mall too, I work at PetSmart, and I've been seeing clueless kids come in with them. I feel so bad because majority of them are college kids on a strict budget and knowing what that is like is kind of a hard pill to swallow. Lately I have been giving them advice based on my experience with them. For every customer I tell them to get something at least 10+ gallons for now, because that guy is suggesting that they keep them in the critter carrier which is ridiculously small. He's also been suggesting that they buy that newt food, which Tigers hate. It just sucks that he's misguiding them and using false advertisement.

I'm down to help you rehome them. My guy is an adult right now. So I don't know how that would go housing him with a juvenile. :confused:

I got mine from the mall too, I work at PetSmart, and I've been seeing clueless kids come in with them. I feel so bad because majority of them are college kids on a strict budget and knowing what that is like is kind of a hard pill to swallow. Lately I have been giving them advice based on my experience with them. For every customer I tell them to get something at least 10+ gallons for now, because that guy is suggesting that they keep them in the critter carrier which is ridiculously small. He's also been suggesting that they buy that newt food, which Tigers hate. It just sucks that he's misguiding them and using false advertisement.

I'm down to help you rehome them. My guy is an adult right now. So I don't know how that would go housing him with a juvenile. :confused:

Thats good to know that people are at least looking for advice though...instead of just taking the sellers instructions. The cages they are sold in hardly even have enough room for them to turn around in. Common sense should kick and it should (should being keyword) be obvious that its not right.

I also have a "baby Dino" that I got from the guy in the mall. I immediately transferred him to a 10 gallon tank and fed him minnows. I've had him for about 2 1/2 weeks and he has completely morphed and seems to be doing fine. My only concern is that he hasnt eaten the two minnows I put in there for him. I've removed most of the water from the tank and he can climb onto a rock to get out if he wants but only sticks his head above water when he wants to breathe. When is he supposed to want food again?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back