Illness/Sickness: Fungus getting worse

Christine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axolotl Pepper has a weird fungus on his tail :( So far he's lost about 3cm off his tail due to this fungus and he has lost loads of weight :( He's eating his live feed but seems to be vomiting most of it back up. Also he keeps 'wagging' his gills up and down :( I've been using Melafix as instructed by my local pet shop who sold me him in October but he's getting worse :( Please help, you can see the fungus on the photo :(

Attachments

• Photo_00001.jpg
    Photo_00001.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG1968.jpg
    IMAG1968.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 314
Firstly please stop using the Melafix, it is toxic to Axolotls. Pet shops suggest it as it is used to treat fish but Axolotls are not fish.

Are you able to post what your water parameters are - Ph, ammonia, nitrate, nittire and temperature?

Have you tried doing salt baths? There is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum to tell you have to do this. Most Axolotl owners use salt baths to treat fungus and steer clear of treatments used for fish.

From what I have read as long as you dont overdose the Melafix is fine for axolotls....

He is still eating and will hopefully start putting on weight again soon.

Gonna have a look at the fridgeing and salt bath guides to see if I can get those started asap.

From what I have read as long as you dont overdose the Melafix is fine for axolotls....

He is still eating and will hopefully start putting on weight again soon.

Gonna have a look at the fridgeing and salt bath guides to see if I can get those started asap.

As CJ1981 says, I've also had probs with Melafix and I'm not sure whether it might contain copper (is it greenish)? If so, copper is really toxic to Axies.

I'd start with the Salt bathing for the fungus and keep a really close eye on your water quality, regular water changes and check parameters several times a week. Surprising how quick they can get out of hand and Axies get stressed so easy when their water's not just right. Good luck and let us know how you get on :happy:

Last edited:
I use tap water and add dechlorinater. I have a 60l tank with one other axolotl aswell.

Tempted to stop the Melafix for a bit, put Pepper in the fridge for a bit and do salt baths aswell, need to read fully about how to do it all

Ok, I've moved Pepper into a smaller tank, put some of the old water from his bigger tank in so that it has some of the bacteria in and stuff. Just fed him and he is wolloping it down, hopefully he wont be sick later. Going to start attempting salt baths tomorrow, will keep changing the 25% of the water every 3/4 days to see if that helps too

Hopefully he'll be all healed soon and can go back in the bigger tank with Salt :)

Also are salt baths ok if the area on his tail where the fungus is also has an open wound on it?

I just re-read my bit from earlier and I didn't finish a sentence :confused: I had intended to say, if the wound looks raw, I personally would not do salt baths. Sorry for the confusion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back