Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

That's So A̶w̶e̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ Awkward

FireStar

Reaction score
A little bit random, but today was my first day of university.
My uniguide decided to do an ice breaker game with the group called "That's so awesome"

Where you say your name and something you like and then someone in the group like the same thing. they say "That's so awesome" and hi-fives you.

Me: Hi, I'm Kim and I like axolotls
*Puts up hand ready for hi-five receiving and grins like this :proud:*

*Awkward silence, with cicadas replacing awkward cricket noise*

Random Person: Wat? :confused:

FX1C

Reaction score
That's so awesome *high fives* you :eek:
(Better late than never.... lol)

That would have been awkward & funny at the same time :)

I forget not everyone knows how awesome these axolotls are.... even when I pull out photos of the aliens some people still just don't get them :eek:
They're the weirdos! :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Morrison

Reaction score
Or you can hold up a huge picture of the cutest juvie evar and then everybody suddenly likes that :)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have pictures on my phone so when people ask me I can whip out my phone and show them, unfurtunately most people still dont get it :confused: I get *so, it's a fish?* -.-
Its so hard to explain to people what it is.

The word axolotl comes out of my mouth and I just get confusion all around me. lmao -.- it makes for awkward situations indeed

snuggly time

Reaction score
I have pictures on my phone so when people ask me I can whip out my phone and show them, unfurtunately most people still dont get it :confused: I get *so, it's a fish?* -.-
Its so hard to explain to people what it is.

The word axolotl comes out of my mouth and I just get confusion all around me. lmao -.- it makes for awkward situations indeed

Yeah I tend to say "It's like a newt!" And then they go "ooooooh" :confused: And they back away slowly ;)

FireStar

Reaction score
*accepts all high-fives and returns thumbs up*
Thanks guys :D I feel the love (I hope that doesn't sound creepy)

I explained to my fellow students in words made for the 'generation of the future'
"That weird yet totally adorable black or white fish lizard thing you see in pet shops"

I would have loved to have shown the pictures of my axies, but my photo is a nokia 2760 and doesn't exactly take great through glass/underwater pictures.

Last year in biology, I blurted out rather excitedly to my table that I was getting axolotls and one person out of five knew what in axie was. I spend the rest of the lesson googling images to show them and the first thing that came out of their mouths was 'Oh My God! There's really something in real life that looks like that!?

EmbryH

Reaction score
Haha, today in yoga my roommate and I were discussing the axie larvae that my housemate (Ardybay) is currently raising. We were commenting on how they're just starting to grow in their back legs and some are showing some nice patterns.

I had said "I love their little arms! They're so tiny and useless right now, like a T-rex!"

"And #2 is starting to show some really nice spots on her spine!"

"And they're just swimming around being vicious little hunters! So fierce!"

At this point one of our classmates asked us what we were talking about. I then launched into my obsessive spiel about how awesome and wonderful and beautiful and magically miraculous axolotls are....

>.>

Tea Addict

Reaction score
I told my uni friends I was getting axolotls they were like 'what?':confused:
Then I explained and one friedn said so they are like pokemon? And now they ask me about my 'pokemon'.
*sigh*

FX1C

Reaction score
I told my uni friends I was getting axolotls they were like 'what?':confused:
Then I explained and one friedn said so they are like pokemon? And now they ask me about my 'pokemon'.
*sigh*

lol it'd be worse if the were named
Mudkip & squirtle :) lol

I often find myself calling Sunbeam Pikachu :)

Oh & I also get poo presents for cleaning the tank o_O yup that's the thanks we get! lol It's not just the lotls either :-/ if I mow my lawns beautifully I turn around & find that my dogs have instantly "improved" it :eek: lol oh well!

<3 >o_o< <3

Morrison

Reaction score
When someone says to me that they look like Pokémon I always give that person the stink eye and I say: ....STFU & GTFO...

shazza

Reaction score
I had a tradie come do some repairs. He looked in the tank, asked "wtf is that thing.?"

I answered.

His reply, "bloody ugly"

I answered "Didnt look in the mirror b4 walking out this morning hey?" (Insult my little mate!)

With a grunt the tradie started his work i was paying him for. I took a quick glance in the tank. Poor Pablo was the sorta floating legs splayed out gills forward with a look of horror on his cute pudgy face..

Obviously thinking the same thing.. "Who is this ugly mug looking in my home?":eek:

MissyE

Reaction score
Such an Australian response! I am an Aussie, living in the US and have wanted axie for simply forever. Finally I was in a position to get them (they're so cute!) and now anyone who enters by home, bee-lines for the tank saying 'what on earth are they'!

We're so lucky to have a forum which can allow us to indulge in our love of these darlings! ;)

I had a tradie come do some repairs. He looked in the tank, asked "wtf is that thing.?"

I answered.

His reply, "bloody ugly"

I answered "Didnt look in the mirror b4 walking out this morning hey?" (Insult my little mate!)

With a grunt the tradie started his work i was paying him for. I took a quick glance in the tank. Poor Pablo was the sorta floating legs splayed out gills forward with a look of horror on his cute pudgy face..

Obviously thinking the same thing.. "Who is this ugly mug looking in my home?":eek:

hannahll

Reaction score
That's almost as awkward as my first day of college!
I met my roommate and she was saying her friend had a super weird roommate that brought her fish tank with her..
Then i was like.. "i brought my fish tank.. and my axolotl..." and she looked at me like i was a freak.
But after she saw my axie, she fell in love :D

andreajo

Reaction score
that is so awesome! I'm lucky to be in a college of natural resources, so when I have people over, everyone wants to feed the axolotl. :D

snuggly time

Reaction score
that is so awesome! I'm lucky to be in a college of natural resources, so when I have people over, everyone wants to feed the axolotl. :D

Lucky, when I tell everyone my axolotl eats worms they tend to run away... I'm having trouble finding axolotl sitters for my holidays because of his diet! :D

FireStar

Reaction score

LUCKY!:D
I prefer to scare people by showing them that I hand feed. It's even better when they miss, grab my finger and thrash wildly about, sand flying everywhere, before eventually letting go (most of the time ;)) and swimming off to sulk in their log and/or pot.

What's even better than that is when I get people who want to hand feed the axolotls despite witnessing a tantrum :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1