Water Change/ Cleaning help

EJgraydon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
EJ
Alright, so I need some help on cleaning my tank. I do every other day 20% changes as of now and clean as much of everything as I can. Well I'm noticing some food getting caught in the substrate (fine silicone sand) and one of the hides that I just cant get to with net or gravel vac, so I want to do an 80% change And clean the tank, rinse the sand, and clean the hides. How do I go about this with the substrate? Gravel vac all of the water out? Thanks in advance!

How long has your tank been set up? Cleaning decorations and especially the subsrate will destroy beneficial bacteria colonies that keep your tank healthy by removing ammonia and nitrite. Do some research on cycling an aquarium. It sounds like you are over cleaning. If you are finding left over food you are also likely overfeeding.

A little over a month. So don't clean deco. Got it. Do I just keep doing 20% every other day? And feed less, of course.

You will need to test your water to see if your aquarium has cycled. If it has cycled you will get ammonia readings of 0, nitrite readings of 0, and nitrate readings >0 . If your aquarium is cycled, you will only need to do a 10-20% water change every week. Use the search function to read up more on cycling.

DON'T WASH THE SAND.

Depending on how dirty the sand is/how far the food is in the sand, you can always 'ruffle' the sand up so the food floats up - wait a bit for it to settle on the bottom, and then vac it up - it should be a lot easier because it's now loose on top.

Just make sure if you decide to do that - turn off filters!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back