Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Did you do anything nice to the containers you kept your juvies in?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have two juveniles that are in seperate containers until they grow(or until the tank is cycled), I will also(hopefully) have some babies hatching soon.

Did anyone decorate the containers for their axies? If so what did you use? I feel like since they will be spending quite some time in the containers they should at least have a hide, maybe duckweed. I don't know it seems kind of boring in their containers :p

FX1C

Reaction score
I had small tanks with sponge filters hides & Anubia plants on drift wood. Also added floating layer of bunch plants from the LFS - I did 100% change & scrub out including rinsing filter every second day - always removing poop with a baster as soon as I see the poop.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361915881.991594.jpg

You can have fun with their tanks as long as you're prepared to clean it all :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I'm not special enough to have a tank with a divider >.< I just have them in 6"X12" tuperware containers right now, doing 20% water changes every day and doing at least 2x daily spot cleanings and feeding them after each spot cleaning. I think they need at least a hide though?
I'm still waiting to fill my tank with water and get it cycling *Stupid black top! grrr* silicone=stupid

FX1C

Reaction score
That was just two small tanks side by side - I got them super cheap on eBay (both for $10) maybe you could get a large plastic container or two at the dollar shop look for ones that are clear & they'll be like mini tanks :)

A hide is good - even larvae like to hide amongst plants - I used cheap oil burners that I found at the dollar shop & the little ones still love them.

<3 >o_o< <3

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
smart idea! and I got the biggest containers I could find at the dollarstore, I have two for the juvies, and I got a bunch of smaller ones for the hatchlings when they hatch Thats a good deal, I never really thought of ebay for buying a tank! lol.

FX1C

Reaction score
Gumtree is even better ;)

I've bought 2 4ft long tanks for $40ea
they were only 3 months old & a 2.5ft for $20 - definitely worth looking regularly for a bargain :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Gumtree is even better ;)

I've bought 2 4ft long tanks for $40ea
they were only 3 months old & a 2.5ft for $20 - definitely worth looking regularly for a bargain :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Even with shipping is it okay? that seems to good to be true! lmao. If I could get a tank for 20$ they'd be getting the best most beautiful tank ever! Regardless, by the end of 2013 they will have at least a 30gallon if not bigger.

FX1C

Reaction score
Even with shipping is it okay? that seems to good to be true! lmao. If I could get a tank for 20$ they'd be getting the best most beautiful tank ever! Regardless, by the end of 2013 they will have at least a 30gallon if not bigger.

I go & pick them up - just narrow your search to within a distance you are prepared to drive - I normally pick 50km radius from my home. The tanks were used but they were in A1 condition. I did however win a 4ft on eBay & when I went to pick it up the very base of the glass walls were shattered into the silicone - they had been dragging it over cement garage floor & it never rested on foam, not even a towel! Needless to say I didn't pick it up or pay & my cut fingertips took days to recover :eek: so you do need to check them thoroughly & water test when they come home. If they leak you have a newt house or can resell it as one. Second hand tank hunting becomes an obsession ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I go & pick them up - just narrow your search to within a distance you are prepared to drive - I normally pick 50km radius from my home. The tanks were used but they were in A1 condition. I did however win a 4ft on eBay & when I went to pick it up the very base of the glass walls were shattered into the silicone - they had been dragging it over cement garage floor & it never rested on foam, not even a towel! Needless to say I didn't pick it up or pay & my cut fingertips took days to recover :eek: so you do need to check them thoroughly & water test when they come home. If they leak you have a newt house or can resell it as one. Second hand tank hunting becomes an obsession ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

Oh okay, I never thought of that. I cant find aquariums on ebay :S I must just be blind or something? I've been checking out kijiji. I found a 55gallon for 60$ which seems like a pretty good deal. but I will be watching it just in case an awesome deal comes around.

FX1C

Reaction score
Oh okay, I never thought of that. I cant find aquariums on ebay :S I must just be blind or something? I've been checking out kijiji. I found a 55gallon for 60$ which seems like a pretty good deal. but I will be watching it just in case an awesome deal comes around.

Search for ...
Aquarium or Fish Tank

It usually brings up plenty :)

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
I just googled where you live & it looks like it's a fair distance away from a big city. (Sorry, totally unfamiliar with Canada!) so that might affect your search results :(

I also just found another Sydney! :D lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I just googled where you live & it looks like it's a fair distance away from a big city. (Sorry, totally unfamiliar with Canada!) so that might affect your search results :(

I also just found another Sydney! :D lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Yup :) I live in a small province. Technically I live in a big city > Compared to the rest of the province, but "big city" is only like 175,000 people : P Compared to the rest of Canada, New Brunswick, and really the rest of the maritimes, are pretty small. Hense why I had to get my lotls shipped from toronto, because NOBODY breeds them around here, nor any pet stores have them(But I'm super happy with the ones I got, and were worth every penny!) OH! And I have to tell someone! because I have no life and nobody would appreciate it as much as the people on the forums :) I saw one of my eggs twitch tonight!! I screamed with excitement when I saw it! Though I've had one casualty so far, it looks like it was not fertile from the start(I must of missed it, because it was hiding, I just saw it tonight)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
It wouldnt let me edit my post so Yes there is a Sydney in Nova Scotia as well :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1