Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi Everyone!

Lixra

Reaction score
Hi guys, just registered here :)

Little bit of background about myself, I'm from New Hampshire originally, but have lived in the UK for about the last 6 years. It was a weak moment on my part, don't judge me ;)

My husband and I currently have about 30 Corn Snakes (I breed these, and the breeding season is upon us!), a Northern Pine Snake, a Western Hognose Snake, a False Water Cobra, a Leopard Gecko, a Crested Gecko, 3 White's Tree Frogs, 2 Pacman Frogs, and 2 Asian Water Monitors... and that's everybody!

When I lived in the States we had a little Fire Salamander named Murloc who was just awesome, I miss him :( I'd love to own another salamander again, I've always had a deep love for the Red Back Salamanders, I used to find them while growing up in New Hampshire, although sadly the last few times I've been back to the States to visit my folks I haven't seen any, although I do find the occasional Red-Spotted Newt eft wandering around :)

I'll be sure to post pictures of some of our dudes and dudettes :)

FX1C

Reaction score
Hi & welcome :)

I look forward to seeing pics of your menagerie - especially the corn snakes :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Lixra

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Wasn't sure where to post the pictures as the photo gallery section is mainly for amphibians... so I figured here was as good a place as any :)

Darwin, the love of my life :)

30417_1415282418449_1124239850_31251377_3790095_n.jpg

This was taken about a year ago, he's a bit bigger now... over 5 ft long and close to 40lbs

nbcjt.jpg

Our younger Sulphur Morph Massey (these guys are both Asian Water Monitors)

DSC_0585.jpg

Chet, our 2008 Amber male Corn Snake

397269_2991297177833_8933153_n_zpsad7c49fe.jpg

One of his daughters hatching from her egg

welcome_to_the_world_zps3aef07bf.jpg

Our Giant African Land Snail, Dozer

DSC_4403.jpg

Charlie, our False Water Cobra having a bit of a soak

DSC_6354_zps04a6b18a.jpg

...and why they're called False water cobras :)

374466_10200297973348348_1693068102_n_zps4856e356.jpg

Our giant Pacman Frog Diglett!

285295_10200178732967413_1686087100_n_zps3c94a53c.jpg

And two of the White's Tree Frogs :)

68941_4712111277110_524355252_n_zpsa42f72c6.jpg

482481_10200285800844043_606552501_n_zpsd5cc2c1f.jpg

Kerry M

Reaction score
Wow! Your pets seem so healthy and loved. Thanks for posting the pictures, I really enjoyed looking at them. I love your frogs ?

FX1C

Reaction score
They're all so gorgeous :)
Thanks for the pics!
I love Diglett - that's a cool fat frog :D

How do you get the water monitor into the bath - he's a cutie, but I wouldn't want a cuddle from those claws :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Lixra

Reaction score
Darwin can climb in the bathtub all by himself, but we do lift him sometimes when he's being lazy :)

His bedroom (yes he has a whole room for himself) is right opposite our bathroom so during the day we leave the door open so he can go back and forth as he pleases (the rest of the upstairs as well as the stairwell is blocked off). At night we shut the door so he's not roaming around at night, and he wakes me up between 7 and 8am every morning by scratching at his door so that we let him out for a bath. He's my alarm clock, haha. Yeah, his claws are pretty sharp, I've gotten a few battle wounds from him, not from aggression, but from him to get a grip when we're holding him, or just from moving around.

Yes, Diglett is ace, but we're pretty sure she's a female. She was my friend's originally, and had her for about three years and have never heard her croak during that time as the males do more of the croaking. Based on that fact and her size (she is quite large, and the females do get larger) we're pretty sure she's a girly frog :)

We have a little Pacman that's about a year old, and I've already heard him croak, so I'll have to have at look at his thumbs and see if I can spot any pads to see if he's definitely a male :)

Darwin on the other hand, we're definitely sure is a male as I've seen his... ummm... gentleman sausages ;) that and he repeatedly tries to mate with me every year between March and June :p

Followgravity

Reaction score
His own room... That's pretty rad, how did you set it up for him, and do you have any shot of his room?

Jen10s

Reaction score
They are all gorgeous, my son would like one of each now ....... Unfortunately no room. Especially love your tree frog :happy:

Lixra

Reaction score
I don't have any at the moment, but I'll be sure to take some for you guys! We're in the process of renovating our entire house at the moment, and his room is going to get a makeover as well! At the moment, he has a UVB Mercury Vapor bulb hanging from the ceiling, as well as a daytime basking lamp and a Kane Heat Mat (these are sold primarily to be pig heaters, but they're awesome for water monitors as they're waterproof and if they can take pigs trodding on it all day, it's certainly Darwin-proof!). He's got a big water tub in there as well as a few hollowed out half logs of cork bark that are about 4ft long. He doesn't use the water bowl much as he really only drinks if he's having a bath, but I like for him to have access to water all the time, if he's in there.

Like most big lizards, he seems to like to watch stuff out the window, so we're going to build a sort of ramp and shelf so he can gaze out the window during the day if he chooses to. I thought about getting him a TV, but my husband said this was more economical ;) He will literally sit and stare at the TV for the entire time if Ironman or any of the Alien or Terminator movies are on, I have no idea why, but he enjoys them.

The younger water monitor is in a 4ft vivarium at the moment, as she's still little, once she outgrows that she'll be going into a 6x4x4ft viv that my husband and I built for Darwin, that he's since outgrown of course. Once she outgrows that she'll have a section of our second bedroom, the remainder is going to be a walk in incubator for our snake eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1