Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Packing newts for shipping

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
hey whats the best way to pack my newt if I end up shipping it through the mail...material, bag?

Sawyer

Reaction score
Damp moss or paper towels located inside the container that you buy night crawlers in would sufficient and is how each newt I've ever sent of received has been. The box should contain styrofoam on all 4 sides to help insulate filled with newspaper and a heat pack or cold pack if necessary.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would skip the heat pack. If the temp is cold out use a gel pack that is not frozen. If it is real hot use a frozen ice pack. If the day and night temps are both much below freezing I would not ship. Ship by next day express or overnite In a styrofoam lined box.. Priority mail is not sufficient in most cases.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
According to the Lacey Act you have to mark on the outside Live amphibians and list how many and what animals are inside.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I would skip the heat pack. If the temp is cold out use a gel pack that is not frozen. If it is real hot use a frozen ice pack. If the day and night temps are both much below freezing I would not ship. Ship by next day express or overnite In a styrofoam lined box.. Priority mail is not sufficient in most cases.

For the most part I do second this.

The only reason I stated a heat pack is because I did have some juvenile cynops sent to me in January and while the temperature wasn't well below freezing it was dang close and with the little amount of heat produces by the small heat pack they were able to arrive safely and sit outside for a couple hours in 33 degree (F) temps for a couple hours.

Michael knows what he is talking about by years of first hand experience so take in any advice he gives.

SimSallaBim

Reaction score
well thank for the help, im only asking because im probably going to switch to fish because my paddletil just isnt as fun as i hoped. Im going to fish until later in life when i'll revisit newts and salamanders

Sawyer

Reaction score
well thank for the help, im only asking because im probably going to switch to fish because my paddletil just isnt as fun as i hoped. Im going to fish until later in life when i'll revisit newts and salamanders

If it's a male I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Let me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1