Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dividing a 20 long?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I had asked a similar question recently

Can I divide a 20 long with craft mesh for 3 CFN and 1 cynops Cyanurus? They have the same needs I just know that different species are not supposed to cohabitate. I have used this method in the past for Bettas but That was a bit different.

FX1C

Reaction score
Cohabitation is not just a visual thing some animals are affected by sensing another species is around which came cause stress because in the wild one species would flee & establish themselves away from each other.

I'm not sure what the species you've mentioned feel about each other - but a barrier won't stop pheromones or other triggers that may cause stress.

I'm sure one of the incredible experts here will give you more accurate species specific information soon :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
That was suppose to be Chinese firebelly newts and cynops cyanurus ... sorry

Sawyer

Reaction score
I've never done this by using mesh as the entire divider, but I do have a set up with about 2" of mesh as the bottom of a glass divider to allow for circulation throughout the entire tank. I currently have paddletails in one section and cfbn's in the other and have had no ill effects as there is no way to get to each other and each has a sufficient amount of space.

If you would like to see pics to get an idea then shoot me a PM and I'll send some your way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1