Herpetology questions

Pokadile

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Jake
I wasn't sure we're to post this but I think this is the right place.I want to be a herpetologist but have a few questions.
Do I have to travel abroad ?
Can I study caudates only?
Is there many jobs?

Thank you for reading please help

I think I have a few answers for your questions.
Question 1: Depending on what types of animals you want to study and where you are located, you might have to travel around the world, or into your backyard. To get a good education and good qualifications, you will probably have to travel some distance. You need extreme experience to even qualify for the most basic job involving amphibians. Amphibian jobs are in short supply, and any agencies that supply such jobs will only choose the best individuals available for the job.

Question 2: There are probably always jobs involving caudates, but you need to dig hard to find them. You also need to be highly educated about the subject you wish to study.

Question 3: As stated above, amphibian (caudate) jobs are in short supply. Unfortunately, amphibians are not the highest priority in a world like ours. Hopefully, someday this will change.

Hope I helped,
Aneides

Do you like to teach? Probably one of the most likely jobs with a degree in herpetology would be teaching at a college.

There aren't many schools (nothing off the top of my head) that offer degrees specifically in herpetology. Most herpetologists I know have degrees in biology, zoology, wildlife, etc.

As for jobs... Here's my $0.02. I graduated with my first degree in biology in 2005. It got me nowhere, so I went back and got another degree in wildlife management in 2008. During the time I was in school, and since I've graduated, I've:
-Worked a dozen different jobs
-Filed taxes in 6 states
-Moved over 20 times
-put 120,000 miles on my car (since 2008)

Unless you go into lab research, almost all the field biologists I know are 'gypsy biologists', moving from job to job (and town to town) with the seasons. If you're lucky, you land 2 field jobs in a year, but most often you're unemployed in the winter and living in your parent's basement (or worse yet, working at walmart!).

If you work hard and make a good name for yourself, you can score some good jobs. If they're there. If there are no herpetology jobs funded, you have to think about what else you're going to do. Like me, last year, I worked with endangered shorebirds. Avian reptiles just aren't the same!

A lot of field biology jobs are funded by the Federal government (US FWS, USFS, USGS, etc.). If there's any sort of shutdown or sequester, forget about getting a job. Using myself again for an example: While I have been unofficially offered my shorebird job again, there's a hiring freeze on all non-essential Federal employees because of the sequester. If this isn't lifted by the time field season starts (mid-April), I won't have a job this summer.

Then you gotta think about the working environment, both physical and social. Most herp jobs don't stop when it's raining. Or cold. You could be spending 15 hours a day in the rain, cold and soaked, trying to keep your equipment dry and working.

Do you like working with small groups of people? Do you really? Because chances are you'll work with the same 3-5 people 7 days a week, 10 or 15 hours a day. If you're lucky, you have your own housing. Otherwise, you're sharing accommodations and living and working with the same people, 24-7.

Unless you have a 'winter job', you better be good at managing money, since you'll make it all in 6 months, and have to make it last all winter when you're not working.

Thank you all I have decided to just do some zoology and biology.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back