Tank help needed

Axyfriend

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Axyfriend
I have 2 Axolotl's and I have approximately 4 snails in their tank with them. Before you ask, they don't hurt the Ax's and in fact help them by eating their left over food. However I'm now seeking help in identifying the snails, whether they're eggs are safe to be in the same tank as my Ax's and if it is safe to keep the eggs in the same tank would the Ax's eat them? Also if so would it harm my Axolotl's to eat the young?

I've attached some pictures of the snails and even my Axolotl's just in case you're wondering what their size is. I don't know if I even posted in the right area but I had to find somewhere to ask haha Thanks in advance for any of your advice or opinions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 186
They look like apple snails I think. I don't know about the young I'm sorry.

I really would consider removing them though, as your Axies grow they will try and eat the snails and apple snails have been known to get stuck in their mouths/guts and cause harm and in some cases even death.

Many people keep snails in with Axies as they help keep the tank clean and give the axie something to hunt but they tend to stick to smaller species of snails and keep them with adult axolotls.

I was just going to quote that article... It might just be a snail, but the big ones can kill :(

Additionally, just double checking that you've swapped out that substrate? It's the perfect size to cause an impaction, and you don't need the stress of trying to nurse your (very adorable) axie through an avoidable disaster :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back