Fungus

siany

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Siany
Hi everyone, Im looking for a little advice on wether or not and how to treat the fungus/mould in our axie tank...
There has been some fungus on the plants and glass of our tank for a while now. I have left it as I thought it would go on its own and wouldnt harm the axies as the water quality is good (check parameters weekly and do a weekly water change). It has come and gone again from the glass and I have cut back the plants that were affected badly.
Our two axies have been healthy eating, pooping and displaying normal happy axie behaviour. Until Pan developed a patch of mould on one gill which grew very fast (over a few hours) and had 'eaten' the 'feathers' from the middle part of that gill. Once we saw how quickly it was doing this we removed him from the tank and fridged and salt bathed him until he was better and he is now back in the tank.
Im wondering if its a good idea to wipe the small patch of it off the glass or will this just spread it about, and should I remove the plants that are slighly affected, or is there anything I can add to the tank to kill it, or do I just leave it?
Ive read the axolotl page about diseases on here but Im still unsure...
I cant even be sure its the same fungus/mould on my axie Pan as in thier habitat but Im convinced it must be related. What experiece have others had with this problem?
Sorry I cant get a good picture of the fungus but will keep trying.
Thanks for your time and advice if you have any
Sian

I don't have much experience in aquarium fungi, I only have a soft fungus coming out of one driftwood piece, and that doesn't cause trouble.

Fungus on plants, and even on the aquarium wall? I've never had that...
I did a quick google search and found this:
Types of Aquarium Plant Fungus | eHow.com

I'd say identify the type of fungus first, and then see about a treatment.
And is the fungus truly spreading to your axie's gills, or is it just a piece that got torn from the plant and got stuck between his gills instead?

I would remove it as seen. Use a combo of your aquarium siphon and something like a credit card. Scrape it off as you're sucking it out with the siphon or a turkey baster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back