Dirty Axolotl?

JasmineH

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is my axolotl dirty or is it fungus? i clean and do water changes of 50% every single week, she eats once every two nights and has no problem eating, she has lost the spirit she had before my other one died though. If axolotls can get depressed she certainly is. I dont think this is fungus because its not thick its more like just dirt stains and whenever i clean the tank it goes away
jasmineh-albums-dionysus-picture27265-photo.jpg

Please help xx

Have you got a water test kit yet? Its really the best thing you can get. First thing to check is always your water quality. Temperature. Ammonia. Nitrite. Nitrate. pH. Do you have readings for these?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cant explain the colour but did its gills used to be fuller and the tail have more of a fin?

Don't know about the color too. Does it look like it's caked on or just the color of the skin itself?
She looks pretty thin too. Maybe feed her more often, to fatten her up :)

Just speculation, could it be some sort of bacterial bloom? :cool: :confused:

It looks more like the colour of the skin because it doesn't protrude at all
I went to the pet store an got the water tested he said everything is perfectly fine, that was about a month ago now though. Ill get a water test kit this week. She's always had poor looking gills, I think this is because when I found her at the pet store she was in a tiny tank with about 4 other axolotls. She's had a missing gill that looks like its trying to grow back but isn't growing at all. Thanks for the quick responses too helps a lot

Also yeah I thought she was full grown so I've been feeding her every second night but ill feed her more often if you guys think she's quite thin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back