Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Weird ribbed white larvae insect looking thing in my axolotl tank!

Kirby

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im panicking a little bit. I've come to clean out my lovely black adult mummy axolotl and have found 5-6 of these weird white ribbed insect type things in her filter.

image.jpg

They're around 2cm long and have appeared over the past couple of days. I can't find any live ones but I am stumped as to what they are. The guy in the fish shop said it looks like mosquito larvae, but I googled that and it doesn't look quite like that.

I feed her live blood and glassworms. Could it be anything to do with glassworms as I've only just started feeding her those.

Please let me know what you think ASAP in case I need to take immediate action. Ill finish cleaning her out for now. Do a big clean and big water change.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree that they're some type of aquatic insect larvae. They're probably not dangerous, just remove them as you see them. There's no need to do a dramatic clean of your tank.

Hamamelis

Reaction score
I think they're just glassworm. I found dead ones that looked pretty similar (without the kinks, but that may be just due to the filter) when I kept some for too long.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It looks like glass worms to me. Maybe you should rethink your filter of feeding. It isn't good if to much of your food gets sucked into the filter.

Kirby

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have given the tank a good clean.

I agree, i think it is a form of glassworm. I've recently started feeding my adults a few glassworms here and there as they come with the Daphne's that I feed the Axxies babies. A guy in a pet shop told me that the adult Axxies love glassworm. It was only one or two every two days. They mainly eat blood and earth worms. I think I will stop the glassworm.

Hope that I don't come across them again! :s weird :s

Thanks for your help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1