Re-designing my Tank

Vickie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to the life of Axolotls, I've had mine for just over 2 months and got them off of someone who had had them for over a year. I have kept their set up pretty much the same as they had it before. Having read through a few of the previous threads I have seen people add layers to there tanks, I'm wondering how to do this. As I would love to give them more to explore and climb and they have a little stone/rock hide which they love climbing on.

My tank is 36 inches by 14 inches by 15 inches high and it has two Axolotls in it, hopefully if I have done my profile picture correctly it should show Axol and Lottie.

Lottie (female) is a little fatty who since having her eats between 3 and 5 earthworms every other day and Axol (male) has eaten twice, those two times he had 2 earthworms and is very skinny. I would say it's the change of ownership which has done it as it's been his last two feeds he has eaten.

They are very cute! One suggestion, though- I'd probably be getting rid of those pebbles as they aren't large enough to not be eaten if one of them gets overly adventurous in their choice of food!
As to adding layers, you could use perspex put together with aquarium safe (make sure it says this on the tube!) silicone, and create a box to slip into the tank. You could then use the silicone to glue the rocks you currently have to it to make it look pretty. Alternatively, slate works quite well in creating layers. Just remember it will need to cure for at least a week before it goes into the tank :)
In my own tank, I have a bar of (massive) river stones with a whole heap of PVC pipes put through which the axies adore. The top of the bar has algae and moss growing over it, and I've caught them hanging out there regularly.
Another way to create layers is to use plants- giant swords, java ferns, java moss ropes (check out Nikki's thread- hers look amazing!). If you have a good plant trader nearby, ask them what they have that is very hardy and well established, and check the forums for some more in depth suggestions on plants.
Can't wait to see what the end result is!

Thanks hun, I like the idea of using slate as looks nice and has a similar texture to the big rocks already in the tank.

I'm doing a complete re-organise tomorrow with their tank, it's going sand with only the large pebbles and rocks staying in... The smaller ones will be going into the fish tank for them to play with.

I wanna do loads with it but it's to small at the moment for all my plans, well for all the items for tanks I've fallen in love with....

There's always the option if you have the space of getting a new tank...or three :D check ebay or the local classifieds website (ours is gumtree, not sure what the UK equivalent is), a bargain is guaranteed to be out there somewhere :D

I'm waiting on a house move at the mo and once I have a bigger house... A bigger tank will follow..... As not only do my Axolotls deserve a new tank just for being cute and adorable my goldfish need a bigger tank... That will also leave me with two 3 foot tanks to fill.... hmmmm what could I put in them I wonder.... ;)

Well I have spent the afternoon and evening playing with sand (yuk... I really dont like sand but my babies are worth it....) and have now nearly finished my new tank design.... Once I get on the computer I will post pics of before, during and after.....

I personally think it looks fabulous...... :D ;)

Well it took a while longer than expected to get the sand in, for one reason or another so Axol and Lottie have had a bare/rocky tank for a wee while but finally the sand is in and a level.....

I'm hoping if this works I will have a photos of how the tank has changed from the day we collect them to now...

This is how there tank was when we collected Axol and Lottie.... The tank was preset up so that we could get them back into it asap....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28803&stc=1&d=1362868559

Axol and Lottie temp home while their tank is being sandscaped.....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28804&stc=1&d=1362868662

My best mate Sean washing the sand because he knows how much I hate the feel of sand.... :D
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28805&stc=1&d=1362868662

The first layer of sand, tunnels and pots down.....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28806&stc=1&d=1362868662

The finished design without water.....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28807&stc=1&d=1362869648
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28808&stc=1&d=1362869648

Once filled with water.....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28809&stc=1&d=1362869648

Axol and Lottie exploring their tank....
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28809&stc=1&d=1362869648

What do you guys think.... I will be exchanging the fake plants for real ones... Thinking of putting in java moss and ferns..... Lottie is at the moment having great fun swimming in and out of her new tunnel while Axol is swimming around the pots or relaxing on the big rocks on the right of the tank... I cant wait till the water clears up and I can get some better pics.... Any feed back, good or constructive are welcome as I want my new water babies to be happy...

Attachments

• IMG_20130216_130915.jpg
    IMG_20130216_130915.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC_0219.jpg
    DSC_0219.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0223.jpg
    DSC_0223.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 678
Looking good! As to the three foot tanks, I highly recommend starting up a guppy and shrimp colony... I hereby warn you that you may get attached to certain individuals and be unable to send them into the paths of your axies (I have a male guppy who somehow survived being in with my axies, shifting into a smaller tank with the other guppies, that tank crashing, that tank being overrun with java moss and him being presumed dead and gone, that tank coming back online and becoming repopulated, that tank busting a leak and having to go into the axie tank (only for 24 hours, but still...)...And now catering to a nice harem of girls. He's over two years old, and now looks like he's starting to fade...I will be quite sad to see the little so and so go...)

I have a slightly smaller tank which is cycling at the mo which is going to have Shrimp and guppy's in it and possibly some Danio cos I found one breed which are really pretty and I think they would look nice with the Guppys....

The only thing is Axol and Lottie's old owner said they didnt eat guppies when she put a few in the tank, but then they are very lazy... Lottie will take food once it is right in front of her nose and Axol can take 10 mins of leaving the worm wiggling in front of his nose to get him to eat it....

I tried to give them blood worm as treat last week and it took for me to wiggle my finger in front of Lottie for her to eat them and Axol just point blankly ignored them...

They have always been hand feed worms, so I may have to hand feed guppies....

Hi there, Tank is looking good:happy: here are some thoughts on feeding behavior it has been my experience that a little hunger goes a long way with encouraging them to eat new prey items. Maybe try backing off Lotties feeding schedule for a few days and Axol sounds like some intimidation going on? Not sure on that. If you let them pass there last meal between feedings this should let you know they are ready to eat. Of course always watch for aggressive behavior when changing a feeding schedule. Good luck with them it looks like they are in good hands;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back