Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Im thinking of getting an axolotl.. (:

lochnessie

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the site and have been looking around it all night, but i still feel like i have so many questions!

I am currently in college, where i can not have any pets except for those that are fully aquatic. I also love love lizards, since i cant have a lizard i thought an axolotl would be perfect.

I currently have a 20 gallon tall. It was given to me for free with all accessories. I havet set it up yet to see how it works, im mostly concerned about the filter, because i. Dont want a harsh stream if i get an axie. Pluds it will need cleaned of course.

1. I was wondering if i should get two? 10 gallons is reccomended for one adult. But i know it will be different since its a 20 tall. I also heard they are social, when old enough. Shiuld i get one or two? Im also torn between colors leucistic and golden. A melanoid but only if it wad blue-ish. I

2. Gfps, they glow under black light correct? Does this shorten their life? Ive heard that they were injected with jellyfish dna. I dont know much abot them, bit if it affects their health then i would rather go natural.

3. Tank decore, there are so many opinions on this. I like the look of natural plants, but i know that they like to uproot them. What are some suggestions on this? Also wjat about " silki lfake plants". I think i am going to use black sand. Would you reccomend a pet store hidey, or a natural rock hidey, if so what types of rocks?

Im sure i will think of more. I just needed a place to have my own questions answered. This is a great site with a lot of information!
Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions. More to come later! :)

frogman

Reaction score
1. Axolotls do great together, but there is no gaurentee they won't nip at each other. It is always fun to have two though.

2.GFP is a genetic trait that was given to them many generations ago. It makes them glow emerald greed under a blacklight. As far as I know, gfp does not shorten life span or affect them in any way with health.

3. All hideouts are good, just be carful of sharp edges and jagged rocks. Live plants are good and most often come with lead weights to keep them on the floor of the aquarium. They also help maintain water quality. Fake plants ar also good and won't rot, but don't help water quality.

Hope this helps!

Evan

FX1C

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the site and have been looking around it all night, but i still feel like i have so many questions!

I am currently in college, where i can not have any pets except for those that are fully aquatic. I also love love lizards, since i cant have a lizard i thought an axolotl would be perfect.

I currently have a 20 gallon tall. It was given to me for free with all accessories. I havet set it up yet to see how it works, im mostly concerned about the filter, because i. Dont want a harsh stream if i get an axie. Pluds it will need cleaned of course.

1. I was wondering if i should get two? 10 gallons is reccomended for one adult. But i know it will be different since its a 20 tall. I also heard they are social, when old enough. Shiuld i get one or two? Im also torn between colors leucistic and golden. A melanoid but only if it wad blue-ish. I

2. Gfps, they glow under black light correct? Does this shorten their life? Ive heard that they were injected with jellyfish dna. I dont know much abot them, bit if it affects their health then i would rather go natural.

3. Tank decore, there are so many opinions on this. I like the look of natural plants, but i know that they like to uproot them. What are some suggestions on this? Also wjat about " silki lfake plants". I think i am going to use black sand. Would you reccomend a pet store hidey, or a natural rock hidey, if so what types of rocks?

Im sure i will think of more. I just needed a place to have my own questions answered. This is a great site with a lot of information!
Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions. More to come later! :)

Hi & welcome :)

20G is great for 2 adults & if you provide a few hides (1 each + 1 spare) & make sure the hides have at least 2 entrances - if the animals are never cornered there's less likely to be aggression - so all my hides are hollow log tunnels or sandwich tuppaware with access holes cut in then covered in silicone pebbles. (Check out the DIY hides thread) I also have a lot of live plants that are all on driftwood or rocks - which means they can't get dug up & are easy to rearrange & clean under easily. It's much nicer to have live plants as they can help with keeping the water balanced removing ammonia.

If you set up your tank & see how the filter flows & then see how to curb to flow by either aiming the spray bar towards to glass or blocking the flow by placing a plant in the path of the flow which dissipates & breaks up the current. You can even use a new shower puff or sponge to break the waterfall of a hob filter.

I don't know about the origins of the GFP's but I do know shining black light uv lights is not great for the little lotl who has no eyelids.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of information on here & if you can't find the answer just ask :)

Make sure you get a freshwater master test kit before you start your tank cycling & an easy to read accurate thermometer.

Can't wait to see the new addition/s :D

<3 >o_o< <3

lochnessie

Reaction score
Thanks Evan!
Does anyone know the safest size for sand to be? I want to make sure they have the safest envirinment so i dont lose them if i get them.
Also are the melanoids always a shade of blue/purple or is that a hard color to find?
Im glad that gfps dont have any associated health risks, i will be looking into them now as well c:

lochnessie

Reaction score
Nikki,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been looking into getting one for awhile, but didnt think i could because i thought they lived on land and water. I also wanted something i could pet, being a pre vet student i naturally like cuddling with animals. Then i got a betta fish, afteri was given another small tank for free, needless to say i love him.

If i get juveniles, say three inches long, will they have trouble with sand filtering theough theirsstems?

Also i saw this dragon bubbler which i thought would be cute, i check it for roufh edges ans sand what was needed, but would thT be too much current for them?

So much to consider, if i recieved two juveniles. Should i keep them separated until a certain size to prevent cannailbalism?

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Axolotls need more floorspace than depth so the longer/wider your tank the better especially if you are getting two. They don't swim up to much and spend most of their time sitting around the bottom of the tank. If you have the space maybe invest in a larger tank so you know your okay for two? When younger especially they get bitey with eachother.

I have live plants, one anubis nana, (which Greebo loves sitting it and detaching the leaves), a java fern and some java moss. All can grow in low light levels so you don't have to have your tank light on. Real plants look so much better, I have protected the roots by leaning large rocks on the root system and having the plant against the glass. The anubis is also tied onto a rock with thread, (which naturally dicomposes in the water over a couple of months giving time for the roots to grow around in rock).

You may have to replace the plants every now and then but they arent expensive and do look much better, (and are benifical for the tank!).

Black sand sounds interesting and different, i'd be intreseted to see what it looks like if you decide to go for it :) Might lose a black axolotl againsgt it though lol :)

FX1C

Reaction score
Nikki,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been looking into getting one for awhile, but didnt think i could because i thought they lived on land and water. I also wanted something i could pet, being a pre vet student i naturally like cuddling with animals. Then i got a betta fish, afteri was given another small tank for free, needless to say i love him.

If i get juveniles, say three inches long, will they have trouble with sand filtering theough theirsstems?

Also i saw this dragon bubbler which i thought would be cute, i check it for roufh edges ans sand what was needed, but would thT be too much current for them?

If you get juveniles leave the tank base bare bottomed - you can always add sand once they grow larger. Bare bottom is easy to keep clean & for them to find food :)

If you put in an air stone or bubbler just make sure you can adjust the airflow with an inline tap (some air pumps have high/low settings) then you can fine tune it so its not a boiling cauldron more like champagne bubbles in a stream.

Once you have little alien faces watching your every move you'll soon learn than you don't need to pat a pet for it to be an awesome pet :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362338804.613597.jpg

Here's a pic of my tanks - both bare bottomed - plants are all on driftwood or rocks. Moss is used hanging from tank walls / crossmember

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362338897.478319.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362338941.563975.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

lochnessie

Reaction score
I think i am going to start offf one iin the 20tall. C: i really think i want a leucistic or gold so im hoping the black- pale contrast will look very nice. I have also thoufht of adding bamboo since it is tall, does it need lots of light. If i do decide to later introduce another friend are they eazy to get them to cohabitte if they werent raised together? Thanks for the advice onnplants!

lochnessie

Reaction score
@nikki - i also read that having more oxygen in the water may cause their gills to not fully develop because they dont need to use they as much so should i stay away from the bubblez if i have a juvie? But would it be beter for an adult who is developed?

FX1C

Reaction score
I use bubbles via an air stone & a sponge filter & make sure minimal disturbance from flow. I've kept mine with sponge filters until they're 5" long then put them into better filtered tanks which has not affected their gills at all. I have noticed genetics also plays a part in gill length but good clean water conditions makes the ultimate difference - ammonia burns gills so regular water changes & testing keeps that under control :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!