Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GFP or Non-GFP?

GFP or Non-GFP

• GFP

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Non-GFP

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

frogman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So what do you prefer or like the best?

tigmades

Reaction score
I also vote non.... it's not natural for them to be all glow-ey - sure, it's pretty, but eh.... they're already so cute without xD

FX1C

Reaction score
I hate the concept of genetically modifying anything & the image some Frankensteinian freak injecting glowing protein genes into these guys horrifies me :(

My vote is au naturale :) non GFP!

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
I feel the same way, although if one arrived at my door in a fish bag I would love it as much as the others ?

That's so true!
But we'd never even know it was GFP
because I doubt either of us could be bothered subjecting it to uv light anyways :p lol

<3 >o_o< <3

Bdyoung

Reaction score
I don't prefer either over each other. Being as the gfp is now a gene and is bred into the next generation offspring I don't see a problem with it.

frogman

Reaction score
Ya, that is what makes them so pretty. I didn't think people would dislike gfp so much. The only color I would not make gfp is copper. Their too beautiful as they are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hannahll

Reaction score
I don't prefer either over each other. Being as the gfp is now a gene and is bred into the next generation offspring I don't see a problem with it.

I agree. One is not really better than the other, to me at least, but i do find the gfp gene quite fascinating.

frogman

Reaction score
How can you resist those little green eyes. Their soooooo cute:)

paulturner1974

Reaction score
i think the gfp ones look pretty smart with the green eyes!! but can't get them in the UK :mad:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Given the dominance of GFP expression, and how much of a 'cool fad' it is now, I worry that there will be no non-GFP axolotls in 20 years.

Mortimer

Reaction score
I don't know why, but the ones with green eyes always remind me of Podlings from the Dark Crystal. When I looked up the pictures (it's been a while since I've seen it), I'm not quite sure why I make that connection.....haha. It's kind of there....maybe.

podling_zpsab7b72df.jpg

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
I don't know why, but the ones with green eyes always remind me of Podlings from the Dark Crystal. When I looked up the pictures (it's been a while since I've seen it), I'm not quite sure why I make that connection.....haha. It's kind of there....maybe.

podling_zpsab7b72df.jpg

I was not expecting that. It actually gave me a mini heart attack ( the picture) XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1