Crazy Test Results

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
Hey so I have a big problem.

In about 24 hrs the tests changed dramaticly.

1 day ago
Ammonia-.25
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0

Today
Ammonia-2.0
Nitrate-30ppm
Nitrite-5.0ppm

The only change made was some water that came with Boo and 3 live plants.

Is this a finishing cycle or a bad chemical change.

What should I make of this?

Hey so I have a big problem.

In about 24 hrs the tests changed dramaticly.

1 day ago
Ammonia-.25
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0

Today
Ammonia-2.0
Nitrate-30ppm
Nitrite-5.0ppm

The only change made was some water that came with Boo and 3 live plants.

Is this a finishing cycle or a bad chemical change.

What should I make of this?

That is not an ideal condition for an axolotl to be in.

I'd put him into a tub of fresh dechlorinated water urgently to soothe his skin which will surely be feeling those levels.

Once he's safe & stable then you can do some fairly substantial water changes & check for hidden debris.

Not sure your tank has finished cycling with levels like that... Best to keep axie in fresh 100% daily change water until you sort out the tank issues.

Post a pic of the tank incase there's something that could be an issue.

<3 >o_o< <3

I am currently cycling the aquarium, the axies have been out for a couple weeks. Here is a pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362344138.298599.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are a few questions for you :D Is this tank divided into three? If so, have you taken readings in each section? How many filters are running?

The divisors are just loosely placed in to prevent breeding, there is half an inch on each side so all water is the same. The filter is a turtle clean canister filter 511. And it is divided into three.

More insane

PH-over 8.8

More insane

PH-over 8.8

I hope you don't have anything alive in those tanks - with high Ph like that it means ammonia becomes even more toxic at lower levels.

Have you tested your tap water Ph?
What kind of dechlorinator are you using & how often / how much % water changes are you doing? Have you checked under all plants hides for any hidden waste matter?

<3 >o_o< <3

No, nothing alive in that tank , only live plants. That would be torcher. I just did a 20% clean out. Conditioner is API tap water conditioner. I use it whenever I put new water in a tank. Tap water PH is 8

What type of test kit are you using?

If you are using test strips, they may be giving you shonky readings.

If you are using test tube kit, have you checked the test kit expiry date? If the test kit hasn't expired, I would test again, and see if you get the same result.

It is a brand new API master test kit.

New results
Ammonia-1.5ppm
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
PH-0

I just don't get it
Did a 20% clean out today

One thing to check, though not as common, is if there is any ammonia content in the source water. I've had it happen where farm runoff in the spring was causing a high amount ammonia in my tap water straight out of the faucet.

No ammonia in tap. Oregon has very good tap water.

It is a brand new API master test kit.

New results
Ammonia-1.5ppm
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
PH-0

I just don't get it
Did a 20% clean out today

Your pH is not zero. Do you mean neutral, i.e. 7 or is it still alkaline?

Your readings really are weird.
I would suggest you do two or three of each of the tests to confirm your readings each time. (And remember to really shake the second nitrate test bottle and wait ten minutes for the colour to appear). In fact I'd give all the bottles a bit of a shake. Are you using clean test tubes and lids, perhaps you have had some contamination?
Keep us posted; this is interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, not zero it is
6.0 ppm
Ammonia-1.0ppm
Nitrates-0ppm

Latest test results, did a 20% water change
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362457929.375012.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362457939.536349.jpg

Looks like some of your ammonia his been converted to nitrite. Now you need your nitrite converters to increase in number. In a few days (or weeks) you should start seeing the nitrate test coming up orange. But I see that you pH is low. You might try adding something to bring it nearer neutral (crushed coral or shell in a nylon pop sock works well). This will create better conditions for the bacteria to increase. Patience is needed because you are growing two interconnected bacterial cultures from very low starting numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You're on the right track, I would be worried about compaction if left in the substrate with your axolotls. I think a local reef store may have some coral sand you could use, though I would rinse it thoroughly. Other people have had some success with limestone rocks as well.

New up to date test results
Ammonia
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530403.928817.jpg
PH, Nitrite, Nitrate
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362530435.202077.jpg

The animals have been returned to the aquarium because the levels seemed to be reasonable.

Today's nitrite
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362587871.111528.jpg
I think my cycle is starting to work,
And how did that look for crushed coral?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back