Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 Poorly Axies with white eyes .. fungus?

Aly

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have 2 Axolotls that have recently been treated for fungus which were on their gills. (gave them salt baths and fridged them for about 3 weeks)
I put them back in their tank about 2 weeks ago thinking they were all better.
Anyways, at first they were happy to be back in there, swimming & climbing around, but not eating. (The pink one nibbled on some bloodworm but the wildtype wasn't interested .. at all)
And then this white stuff started growing on their eyes ... and i'm really not sure how to treat it.
Checked the water and the results were pretty much perfect.
I have taken them out of the tank and they are currently staying in the fridge.
I have noticed they seem to have a bit of fluffy fungus on their tail still, so am giving them salt baths.
Something that is more noticeable on Pinky, is her veins are showing more than usual on her tail and head. and the tip of her tail is red. (almost like she has been wounded?)

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures .. I didn't want to attack them with the flash ...

aly-albums-my-babies-picture27319-pinky-poorly.jpg

aly-albums-my-babies-picture27318-faygo-poorly.jpg

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Aly

Reaction score
Ok the salt baths seem to be helping with their eyes a bit, but they do look a bit cloudy ...
They both look a bit red on their hands and tail ... (I tried taking a picture but it wouldn't show)
Not sure whether it was due to stress :confused:

Would really like some advice for their eyes and redness .. would a black tea bath help?

FX1C

Reaction score
Black tea can be added to their tank water or even fridging water at any time & it will slowly dilute with water changes or you can add more to keep the levels up. It is good for their skin as it has a calming effect on the slime coat. Adding a dried almond leaf to the tank can also add the tannins that soothe the axolotls skin.

Once the fungus seems gone stop doing the salt baths & just add some tea to the water, keeping a close eye on the water temperature & parameters :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362567473.873744.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

Aly

Reaction score
Thank you Nikki, I'll give it a go when the fungus clears up!

I miss seeing their pretty lil eyes .. and they probably miss feeling hungry ... :eek:

FX1C

Reaction score
Thank you Nikki, I'll give it a go when the fungus clears up!

I miss seeing their pretty lil eyes .. and they probably miss feeling hungry ... :eek:

I meant that you could add black tea to their normal water after their salt baths - it will help to soothe the skin & stave off more fungus. If you're doing 100% water changes - just add the tea to your clean water daily.

It will help :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Aly

Reaction score
Thanks Nikki!
Just a quick update to say that the lil guys are doing much better!
Their eyes are almost back to normal and the redness isn't as bad now :D

FX1C

Reaction score
Good to hear -
hope they're back to normal now :D

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1