Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My pregnant axolotl?

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
:confused: hi i was just wondering if my axolotl was pregnant or not,Shes just over 1 year old, I feed her 3 frozen blood worm cubes every 3-4 days , i dont think im over feeding her am i? :smile:

Attachments

• 2013-02-01 02.02.14.jpg
    2013-02-01 02.02.14.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 8,939
  • 2013-02-01 02.02.33.jpg
    2013-02-01 02.02.33.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4,243
Last edited:

frogman

Reaction score
Is there a male in the tank? What size of cubes? Any top view pics?

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
Is there a male in the tank? What size of cubes? Any top view pics?

Yeah theres a brown male hes 4 years old and is very lazy so i dont know wether he has the energy to court her :p and yeah i will upload one now :) and the cubes arnt very big i would say the size of 2 little lego blocks ontop of each other i will also upload a photo of that :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 2013-03-05 12.12.43.jpg
    2013-03-05 12.12.43.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 5,322
Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Blood worms arent the healthiest diet...they lack a fair amount of nutrition, but how long as she been this large? Did it happen quickly or gradually over time?

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
Blood worms arent the healthiest diet...they lack a fair amount of nutrition, but how long as she been this large? Did it happen quickly or gradually over time?

I would say gradually over time , i talked to my local pet shop and they said it might be because shes ready to breed and what other foods would you suggest , people have said crickets but i really couldnt handle them lol im far to afaid of them :p

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
Ive just bought a huge load of live earth worms im hoping that this is going to add more better nutrition for them :) xx

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
She's awful large to be carrying just eggs. Does the swelling go up into the chest?

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
She's awful large to be carrying just eggs. Does the swelling go up into the chest?

I dont know really , i would say shes over-all large , heres a side and top view of her , she is deffinatly larger then my male but i dont think shes to large is she ?? :confused:

Attachments

• 2013-03-08 15.43.16.jpg
    2013-03-08 15.43.16.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 2013-03-08 15.43.55.jpg
    2013-03-08 15.43.55.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,614

CJ21

Reaction score
my female breeds all the time and she gets big but never that big id say if she is but if u dont see any eggs in a week or two i would seriously reconsider her diet. do you feed them one at a time she might be eating more of the food you put in than the male.

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
my female breeds all the time and she gets big but never that big id say if she is but if u dont see any eggs in a week or two i would seriously reconsider her diet. do you feed them one at a time she might be eating more of the food you put in than the male.
I will deffinatly try this out ,i to keep my female away from the food when im feeding them both as she is vey greedy and sometimes i feel like she doesnt get enough because he tenticals go paler when she is hungry but still dont feed her more , i guess i dont undestand why she is so big because you can always see how much they have ate whe you see the darkness in her tummy and its never completly full , just half of her goes darker :confused:

CJ21

Reaction score
unless you feed them individually you can not be sure how much each one is getting but on the whole females are usually bigger set than males. I'd say just keep eye on her :)

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
unless you feed them individually you can not be sure how much each one is getting but on the whole females are usually bigger set than males. I'd say just keep eye on her :)
I will do , thankyou for your advice :)

axolotl newbie

Reaction score
One of my females is a similar size. I give her one earthworm every 2-3 days and a few pellets as treats. She has always been chubby. My other 2 females in a different tank have the same diet and aren't as large. I like to think she's just more Sophie Dahl than Kate Moss :)

Attachments

• fat taco.jpg
    fat taco.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,756

Moobear2010

Reaction score
I dont want to spam as i have no imput to if shes fat or pregnant or hat but.....
Those who are saying shes fat and or unhealthy? Isnt the rule a axolotl should be as wide as its head? Therefore if this rule is correct then this axie is fine?

Sorry if im wrong or out of order or anything else that may come of it x

Rissa1980

Reaction score
:confused: hi i was just wondering if my axolotl was pregnant or not,Shes just over 1 year old, I feed her 3 frozen blood worm cubes every 3-4 days , i dont think im over feeding her am i? :smile:

hi, i dont think shes over weight,i have attached a pic of mine before and after she laid her eggs. she looks the same size as yours does. mine get live blackworms. feeder fish, beef heart and worms. she is currently that big again and so are my other females.

Attachments

• user19996_pic22045_1335358445.jpg
    user19996_pic22045_1335358445.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 3,464

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
One of my females is a similar size. I give her one earthworm every 2-3 days and a few pellets as treats. She has always been chubby. My other 2 females in a different tank have the same diet and aren't as large. I like to think she's just more Sophie Dahl than Kate Moss :)
Yeah id say my girl is probly the exact same size :p

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
I dont want to spam as i have no imput to if shes fat or pregnant or hat but.....
Those who are saying shes fat and or unhealthy? Isnt the rule a axolotl should be as wide as its head? Therefore if this rule is correct then this axie is fine?

Sorry if im wrong or out of order or anything else that may come of it x
hahaa no its fine i would love to know my axie is fine so all opinions welcome :happy:

Amberleyadams

Reaction score
hi, i dont think shes over weight,i have attached a pic of mine before and after she laid her eggs. she looks the same size as yours does. mine get live blackworms. feeder fish, beef heart and worms. she is currently that big again and so are my other females.
haha im so confused , everybody is saying 2 things to me lol , i think personally she is full of eggs and just needs my male to lay sperm down , but he is just old and lazy lol , ive been trying to get my hands on black worm and live black worm but the aquarium shops near me dont have any , they have live blood worm would that be just as good?? and also does live food kinda bring on the male to court her ?? :p:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!