Help!? High ammonia

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a cycling tank that isnt finished cycling yet.

My two juvies are in seperate containers, and i test the water every week. Last night i came home and texas was being lethargic. I thought he was dead! He wouldnt move much. I tested the water and his water was 1ppm for ammonia! I panicked and did a 20%water change. He is still eating like a pig. This morning i tested both containers, texass container was at 0.5ppm and echos container is 0ppm for ammonia. Ph7.2 and nitrate and nitrite is 0 for both. I did a second 20%water change again this morning.

I do normally a 20%water change daily and spot clean twice or three times a day. Texas seems to be more active today but i dont know if i should try moving him with echo till i can regulate the ammonia.

I have 8 juveniles in separate uncycled tanks. I'm currently doing 60 to 80% water changes every other day because they have grown and are eating ( and pooping) more. I syphon out all the debris first, and on the days in between I use the turkey baster to remove debris an hour after feeding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have 8 juveniles in separate uncycled tanks. I'm currently doing 60 to 80% water changes every other day because they have grown and are eating ( and pooping) more. I syphon out all the debris first, and on the days in between I use the turkey baster to remove debris an hour after feeding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Do you think i should be doing bigger water changes daily?
I hand feed them so they dont have much uneaten food in their water, i have learned they dont eat it unless its in a turkey baster so it was a waste to leave the food there.
But should i move him till the ammonia is at a safe level? Do you think at 3+inches they will still nip at each other if i put them together? Im panicking still even though the ammonia level isgoing down. Should i test again tonight?

Do you think i should be doing bigger water changes daily?
I hand feed them so they dont have much uneaten food in their water, i have learned they dont eat it unless its in a turkey baster so it was a waste to leave the food there.
But should i move him till the ammonia is at a safe level? Do you think at 3+inches they will still nip at each other if i put them together? Im panicking still even though the ammonia level isgoing down. Should i test again tonight?

If they're in uncycled tubs then they should be getting 100% changes with dechlorinated tap water (aged 24-48hrs) & don't forget to scrub the tubs really well too - the slime build up is bad bacteria! Scrub them in a (Bicarb 2:1 Salt) mix - keep double the amount of containers so you can just transfer them to a clean tub with clean water :) simples!

<3 >o_o< <3

If they're in uncycled tubs then they should be getting 100% changes with dechlorinated tap water (aged 24-48hrs) & don't forget to scrub the tubs really well too - the slime build up is bad bacteria! Scrub them in a (Bicarb 2:1 Salt) mix - keep double the amount of containers so you can just transfer them to a clean tub with clean water :) simples!

<3 >o_o< <3

Thank you! I have been waiting all day for you because i knew you would have the answer for me. My only question is what can i do immediately?i will go home and do the 100% water change but i have no clean full containers for them(unless i leave them in echos container until i do) i also have no aged dechlorinated water since i used it all to do my waterchanges already today. Im in a sticky situation! But from now on i will take your advice :) i am just scared texas will die with the ammonia so high right now :(

What would i do without this forum <3 I am still uneducated but i am willing to learn. Somethings i wont learn until i make the mistake and panic! Haha i do my best but i also depend on what others say(and everyone has such varrying information!) i was told 20%daily was sufficient and i wasnt told to do the 100% and clean the container i just noticed it was getting slimy so i figured it was best to wash it out.
Its weird that echos tub is perfect but texas is completely messed up! Maybe texas is dirtier.

If you ever don't have aged dechlorinated water you can use it after letting it sit for just an hour - better to know its fresh than leave them in dirty water longer than needed.

I hope you get it all sorted soon & your little guy starts showing signs of recovery - lots of fresh water & food & you can't go wrong :)

<3 >o_o< <3

If you ever don't have aged dechlorinated water you can use it after letting it sit for just an hour - better to know its fresh than leave them in dirty water longer than needed.

I hope you get it all sorted soon & your little guy starts showing signs of recovery - lots of fresh water & food & you can't go wrong :)

<3 >o_o< <3

I put them together in the same tub last night so i could clean the other tub out and not only do they not nip at each other it was like miraculous with texas! Texas is so active again <3 so tonight i will switch them containers and clean echos out as well. As long as they dont nip at each other i plan on keeping them together so i can just rotate both containers. They will be in a tank within a week. Im excited!

That's good news :) just make sure to put a bit of plant in the tub with them - something like hornwort lives well floating on the top & also allows them to hide & feel safe & not so exposed.

Good news that Texas showed signs of recovery straight away :D

<3 >o_o< <3

That's good news :) just make sure to put a bit of plant in the tub with them - something like hornwort lives well floating on the top & also allows them to hide & feel safe & not so exposed.

Good news that Texas showed signs of recovery straight away :D

<3 >o_o< <3
And good news that they are getting along! Yay :)

I put hides in their tubs for them(and wash them out daily) :p i have been looking around at live plants that float on the top but i have yet to find any.
I do have some duckweed in with the eggs but i need more ideal conditions to reproduce more from it, but i hope to learn how to do it because that will be nice too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back