How to adhere moss to styrofoam

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm currently in the process of building a 3D fake rock wall background for my 40 gallon that I haven't set up yet. I'm horrible at artsy painting, and I was thinking that if I can't make it look pretty, I'd try and just stick some moss on it and let it take over that. I don't have the moss, so I'm not sure what it's like, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas for making it stick to the fake rock? Obviously aquarium and axolotl safe?
Other random ideas are welcome as well.
Thanks!

Not sure if it would work with your situation, but when I tied java moss onto a piece of driftwood I used fishing line. I wrapped it around the moss/driftwood several times to hold it in place. After giving the moss enough time to anchor itself, I cut the line and removed it.

There's all sorts of ways I've read that people do this. Some also use string to tie it on until it roots.

If its polystyrene & you want the moss there permanently you could use fine fishing line & a thick needle & actually fix it to the wall by stitching over it pinning it to the wall in multiple places - then with any luck it will start creeping or tie the moss to a couple of thin sticks & then attach them to the wall with a couple if stitches to anchor it to the wall (much less sewing than putting the moss directly on the foam)

I'd recommend peacock or Xmas fern to do it as they're less fluffy than java & make downward drooping backgrounds & look brilliant :)

Can't wait to see the wall :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back