CFBN Tank Journal

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just set up my tank today it still needs a little work ( mesh top, sand and I am using a light fixture from an old tank for the plants)

This is what I have so far the filter is buffered Ans no little legs or tails can get caught :)

I am debating a mini turtle dock ... I keep reading that these newts wont use it.

Am I missing anything
Here is my tank
IMG_20130304_210120.jpg

http:/

Any advice, comments or questions?

What is the total volume of the tank?
If it is big enough, i would suggest dispensing with the filter and simply adding more plants.
Also, make sure you have a 100% scape-proof lid that allows for ventilation.
Other than that, it looks good.

Its only a 10 gallon and with or without the filter it still needs to cycle right?

Its a 10 gallon and don't worry the top I am looking at is completely escape proof

Its only a 10 gallon and with or without the filter it still needs to cycle right?

Its a 10 gallon and don't worry the top I am looking at is completely escape proof

Get a metal screen top. They wont be able to escape :)

A 10 gallon can be successfully maintained and kept very stable indeed without a filter if you use a lot of plants. The plants will help maintain tolerable conditions even while the tank cycles, but yeah, you should really cycle it properly before introducing any newts, it´s always better.
The thing is, you could keep the filter, but since H.orientalis prefers still water, and a filter always produces some heat, plus the fact that it is possible to make it entirely redundant, i really think it´s rather pointless to use one provided the tank is cycled and densely planted.

I am completely new to newts so honestly I feel more comfortable with it

My tank is maintaining a 65 degree temp even keeping the house warm

Good news :) my tank is almost cycled :D just need a few more things and I will order the newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back