Question: Axie Eyesight

shazza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sharon
I am just curious on everyones opinion on the Axies eyesight. I had been told not too bad, to shocking.

My experience with mine is he can see quite well. I had worked a 14hr shift and he never got a feed for the day. As soon as i sat on the couch that is beside the tank he was at the glass. (Actually face pressed into glass) Telling me his story of distress.

He follows the kids toys round that they sit on the table that the tank is on and do little plays (like a pupet show) for him.

Thanks for your time everyone

I'm pretty sure mine see me & then initiate begging mode! lmao ;)

But sometimes it has to practically land on their heads to see it! :eek:

I love the idea of your kids doing shows for the lotl <3 that's gold! :D

<3 >o_o< <3

Haha yeah, when i feed the pellets, i drop them 1 at a time in different spots. Not being the most flexable log with legs does the strange twisted head curved body thing watching where the next one will drop them bolts for it.

I've read that their eyesight is poor. Mine often swims into rocks head first, not sure if it's bad eyesight or him just being a bit dumb lol! He tracks me around the room though, I always wonder if he can see me or if it's just blurry movement. If I'm sat at my PC he will come and sit watching me (he is right now lol). I guess we will never know..

I just sat on the couch now and he came straight out.. but after reading some posts on feeding a decided i might be over feeding. So Axle diet it is.. one meal a day.. as u can see doing his best ur starving me to death pose:cool:

Attachments

• 20130306_093713963815045.jpg
    20130306_093713963815045.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 720
And now being a little more dramatic. My son thought something was wrong with him.. Maybe he is hoping a worm will just materialize hahaha

Attachments

• 20130306_094946-985818987.jpg
    20130306_094946-985818987.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 263
For once I would like to own an animal who's be all and end all didn't revolve around food!! :happy: Horses, dogs, cats, fish, axies, frogs/toads, they only love me because I'm the source of food. ;-(

I love your decorations in the tank, especially the dinosaur.

Somedays, my axolotl surprises me when he comes up to the glass while i'm staring in (as though he sees me) but other days i think he is practically blind.

I think he responds better to light. When i turn on a lamp, he'll either hide or be intrigued almost instantly.

For once I would like to own an animal who's be all and end all didn't revolve around food!! :happy: Horses, dogs, cats, fish, axies, frogs/toads, they only love me because I'm the source of food. ;-(

Haha thank u! I wanted something different. Worked out alright. Sometimes i am sure he tries to stare down the ornament with the 2 dinos hatching. Well i think thats what he is trying to do x) tries to cling to the side of it with his 2 toes.

And yes i havent got one boring pet. They all make me laugh in their own way. Come to think of it the kids are more affectionate when they want a yummy treat etc. ;)

But they all have my suckered in. Well and truely

I think rats may be an exception! At least maybe the 5 that are in the house(not all mine) they hear you and they want attention! They go crazy over attention, they never go crazy over me feeding them(treats on the otherhand)

My axies seem to be always begging me for food! I dont know if they they see me or feel the vibration of me in the room and taking the cover off the top but they come right to the surface to me with a "do you havefood for me" kind of look. It looks like they stare at me and swim right to me. Hard to say i guess. Im guessing there isnt many studies?

Not too sure about their eyesight - mine come beg for food every time I go near the tank but freak out if my sons go near them :confused:

I'm sure though that the other night, Gandalf was watching the action on the PS3, I think he might be a better player than me (not hard to do) :rofl:

Mine struts up and down the front of the tank when the cat is there... Its like nanananana u cant get me.. my 19yr old cat just sits on the couch watching.. in her younger days may have had a go lol

I wanted to start a thread on that - and then saw yours:)

We put a new bright red shelving unit in the Axie room on the weekend (yep, they have a spare bedroom, hahaha) - so the day I was installing it and then putting stuff on the shelves - my two axies were literally glued to the side of the tank which faces the new shelf. :D I could've thought it was accidental... errr... nope - they were never interested in this side before, it has a filter inlet and other things they don't find too much fun - but that day they were coming back and standing on their hind legs watching the shelf even when I left! I guess they were curious what that new thing in their bedroom was:))) if they had bad eyesight - how could they see it then? blows me away:)

Have a strong suspicion that we know very little about these guys, they're being studied from regenerative side, but hardly anyone studies their amazing quirky abilities - only their owners probably:))

It seems like pinky and the brain sit and watch me play ps3 and watch movies it might just be me but they are looking towards the tv and when I change games or some shows they will look at me to see why I didn't ask if they were done watching it seems to me anyway lol I swear they seem to understand there surroundings quite well

Mine really seem like they can't see at all...my white albino seems like he can see me dropping pellets over top of him but if they dont fall exactly right he completely ignores it, like one cm off and hes not interested, he does however follow my finger wherever i go...the melanoid golden albino is even worse! he acts as if he cant even see me dropping the pellets over him, only snaps when they nearly hit him, but still seems to follow my finger a bit...maybe they see moving things better?

Very funny - they may not like the pellets and maybe are asking you "hand feed us, please?":)))))) hahaha:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol to allied123 maby they see them but know if they only eat a few easy one's then there will be more for searching out later when you're not looking lol ;)

Out of my 9 two are basically blind and will only react to either me dropping a worm on their head or finding food by smell. The other 7 will swim to the top if they see me so that I can give them food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that mine are mostly interested in movement and light, which makes sense for a predator. The food that is not moving they find by smell. I'm curious if they are able to detect electrical impulses from prey movement- that would be interesting to study. Anyone know if that's been researched?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back