Housing 2 juveniles

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking about purchasing 2 juveniles from a local breeder. Because they're a few inches smaller than my current axie, I'm thinking about buying a 5.5 gallon tank and getting a divider.
I believe they're only around 2.5-3 inches long. Would a 5.5 w/ divider be enough? Or would I need a 10? Also, I'd rather not get a filter, could I get away with just doing water changes? If so, how often?
Thanks!

They'll outgrow the 5.5g fast... as for a 10g, I would say it depends on how long you plan on keeping them in there. A cheap alternative would be to keep them in a sterolite or storage bin container (be mindful of leeching chemicals in water) - one with a larger footprint than a 10g. If you're waiting until you can put the juvies in with your other axie, it could be a while before they catch up.

As for doing just water changes, depends on what you use. If you did use a 10g, you could probably get away with ~40% daily water changes, and 1-2x a week doing a thorough clean (use hands to wipe slime of sides of tank/container and changing 100% of the water).

To give you an idea, my 4-4.5" juvies are in individual 12"x9" dollarama containers, and every 2 days I do 100% water change, as well as poop bastering several times a day.

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid I wasn't going to get one. haha. I'm currently setting up a 40gallon for my current axie to upgrade into. Once that's ready my 2 juvies would be able to take over his 10gallon. I was thinking little containers, but I have a huge dog that pounces about and causes a hurricane in my tanks, so I'd be afraid of spilling. haha

MIght I suggest getting a divider for the 40g? Have the juvies together in one area, and the larger axie in the other? That way they can get used to each other, won't get snacked on, and when they're larger all you have to do is remove the divider! There won't be extra water quality/pouncing dog fuss as long as your divider allows for air flow ;)

I would love finding a divider for the 40. However, I'm not sure if they make them that big! It's a breeder tank, so not tall, and has a lot of depth. Any ideas on how to make one?

as for making... I'm not sure. Again, google is your friend :) I'm sure you'll find tons of tutorials that can show you something that will work.

Good luck! Show us pictures when you've figured things out! :3

Also: you may have another use for the divider down the road - could prevent any unwanted litters ;)

I see the AQ one online, but nowhere that I could buy locally. I hate the idea of buying online, I'm always afraid that it won't fit! Haha. The dimensions seem alright, but ya never know, haha.

Go to a craft store and pick up some rigid plastic mesh sheets, for doing yarn-art. They come in a variety of sizes, cheap, cut to fit, and water flows right through!

For temporary housing, food storage containers are your best friend. They're cheap, food-safe (make sure they're BPA free, most are nowadays), cheap,neasy to clean, they come in a variety of sizes (I use 'entree' size for my axies). Did I mention they're cheap?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back