Is black light bad for your axies?

axolotllover88

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Apocalypse
Hello forum,

I own four axolotls in a ten gallon tank.(their 3-31/2 in) in about 15 days they will be moving to a 50 gallon black lite set up tank. I have put the black light up to their tank before and they kinda freak out but their kinda wiggy anyway.does it hurt them?

Black light is a strong for of uv.

Axolotls do not have eyelids & any bright light can be very annoying to them.

It's best to avoid submitting them to the black light - it's not necessary to put them through that.

I have read somewhere that a standard blue led light will also show the GFP with much less light needed. This would be a preffered option - but still best limited to a couple of hours in the evening (moonlight phase) making sure that the axies have cover overhead & hides available if they need them.

<3 >o_o< <3

Black light is not best to leave on your axie's, Not only bad for their eyes, but will mess up their metabolism as well if left on all the time.

I won't even sell to pet stores that have a 24/7 black light on their axolotl tank, it's just not good for them.

ok.the light itself is about 5 feet away and 4 feet above the tank it self.i just wanted enough effect to light the plants and background...i only plan on leaving it on for 3-4 hours daily

The UV rays from a blacklight will damage your axolotls on a cellular level.

You do not need a blacklight for plants, more like a 6500K bulb.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back