Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank/filter questions

elfelty

Reaction score
My two axies are finally getting a bigger tank! I had them in a 20 gallon (long) and now they're getting a 40. I have a canister filter set up cycling now and the flow doesn't seem to be too strong. My question is if it stresses them out can I only run it during the day and give them a little peace and quiet at night?

I tried a smaller filter on the tank they're in now, but it seemed to really agitate my Jorm, but she seems to be a bit of a diva when it comes to temperature, type of worm, lighting...the guy she's with couldn't care less, however.:rolleyes:

I'll probably just give it a try once it's done cycling and see how she does, but I wanted to know if the option was there to only run the filter part-time. I'd love to not have to do water changes so often, but whatever it takes to keep them happy!

Mortimer

Reaction score
I've been using a canister for my 20 long and love it. I just put it at half speed and have the spray bar directed towards the side of the aquarium (the side the spray bar is attached to...if that makes sense).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Turning filters on and off renders them useless.

The point of a filter is to grow beneficial bacteria, and by turning it off periodically, you're basically starving those bacteria of food, fresh water, and oxygen. Then, when you turn the filter back on, you're blowing all the dead bacteria and their waste back into your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!