Question: Driftwood

craigr8594

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I recently purchased two new axolotl and there great. I bought some driftwood and soaked it but it has still leached into the water and i really like the look its gave the tank. My question is is this safe as from what i have read i have received mixed reviews on tannins with axolotl some saying its fine others saying its not and obviously i dont want to cause my new pets any harm.

Thanks for any help Craig

Post a pic of how dark the water has turned. (Always nice to see others tanks :D)

Personally I have a lot of driftwood in all my tanks & I love the look & the fact that it seems to do them good having the tannin in the water. A common treatment to soothe irritated slime coat is to add black tea to their tank water to add tannins.

If the colour gets too bad - increase the water changes for a little while - it eventually settled down. :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Hi, Thanks for the response, ive added some pictures for you to have a look at sorry there not very good only have my phone camera to hand
DSC_0091_zps985c0408.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsd90335e6.jpg

DSC_0092_zps79f73c29.jpg

Let me know what you think :D

The problem with tannic acid is that it can lower the pH. Even if unsightly, as long as your pH is adequate, tannins are fine.

Thankyou, well ill keep on top of it then :) atm all is good thanks again for the help

As Kaysie said, the only problem with tannins is ph malfunction but it's very easy to control if monitored. I use bogwood in some of my tanks and have never had any problems...and you do get used to the fact it looks like your beasties are swimming in tea ;)

It's actually pretty good for their skin. Tannins act much as tea or indian almond leaves would.

I personally love driftwood, also :) It gives the tank a nice natural look.
Where i work, we have three huge tanks with a bunch of driftwood in them. Thankfully, i let it bleed it out in a bucket, then the tanks at work before i brought it home. I just don't like the yellowish water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back