Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fussy Eater or Sick??

Ruby777

Reaction score
Hi
My girl axolotl (wild type) is behaving a bit strangely when i feed her.
Usually in a morning both the girls are ready for their breakfast and swim up when i walk past or stand up and put their wee hands on the glass and stare at me as if to say right come on its our feeding time which is very cute.
However for about a week now 'blackie' my wild type when i hand feed her a live dendrobaena has grabbed it put it in her mouth and swallowed it while i feed pinky the other girl -pinky eats no problem and is quite greedy! -anyway when i go to give blackie another worm she grabs it but but seems to struggle with it and spits it out. i pick it up and she definitely looks like she wants it as she will try and snatch it from my fingers and the same happens again she spits it out.
they have one small worm each at 5pm aswell which she eats no problem and seems hungry.she is definitely eating less than pinky though in general and she doesnt seem as plump.she hasnt got any lumps or bumps and doesnt look impacted.the water is in good order and the heater/filters are all working fine.
They are on well rinsed riverbed sand(exo) and have caves to hide in and the correct plants.i dont understand whats up.she also prefers earthworms to dendrobaenas but im not sure if she is just very fussy or is getting sick??
also i wondered if it was what i feed the worms -special worm maize from the wormery place where i buy them- and maybe because the earthworms from my garden taste different thats why she prefers them?? should i soak the dendrobaena worms before feeding them? my partner thinks maybe she just prefers to eat at nighttime to morning but im not sure i really feel something isnt right.:confused:

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Hi
My girl axolotl (wild type) is behaving a bit strangely when i feed her.
Usually in a morning both the girls are ready for their breakfast and swim up when i walk past or stand up and put their wee hands on the glass and stare at me as if to say right come on its our feeding time which is very cute.
However for about a week now 'blackie' my wild type when i hand feed her a live dendrobaena has grabbed it put it in her mouth and swallowed it while i feed pinky the other girl -pinky eats no problem and is quite greedy! -anyway when i go to give blackie another worm she grabs it but but seems to struggle with it and spits it out. i pick it up and she definitely looks like she wants it as she will try and snatch it from my fingers and the same happens again she spits it out.
they have one small worm each at 5pm aswell which she eats no problem and seems hungry.she is definitely eating less than pinky though in general and she doesnt seem as plump.she hasnt got any lumps or bumps and doesnt look impacted.the water is in good order and the heater/filters are all working fine.
They are on well rinsed riverbed sand(exo) and have caves to hide in and the correct plants.i dont understand whats up.she also prefers earthworms to dendrobaenas but im not sure if she is just very fussy or is getting sick??
also i wondered if it was what i feed the worms -special worm maize from the wormery place where i buy them- and maybe because the earthworms from my garden taste different thats why she prefers them?? should i soak the dendrobaena worms before feeding them? my partner thinks maybe she just prefers to eat at nighttime to morning but im not sure i really feel something isnt right.:confused:
Axolotl sometimes cant handle big things , i tried mine to give him a guppy and it spitted it out because it was big for him to swallow , so try giving small quantity , if it still spits it out then you got problem either in the worms or to the axolotls

CJ1981

Reaction score
It just sounds like a personal quirk. Some worms can taste a bit more bitter than others so can be less palatable but if an Axolotl is hungry it isn't fussy!

I have one that wolfs down several worms before grabbing a final one and parading around with it trailing out of her mouth for a good 15 minutes before she finally swallows it. I thought that meant I was over feeding but if I don't let her perform this little ritual she sulks!

Try changing up the feeding pattern and giving one in the morning and two in the evening. I generally think with Axolotl's that so long as what goes in comes out then you have little to worry about ;)

Ruby777

Reaction score
Thanks all for helping me :)
I tried her with a freshly dug earthworm from the garden this afternoon and she ate it straight away pinky immediately wanted one too!
I havent seen her do the toilet though no poopy anywhere so im going to see if she has done one tomorrow i cant see any bumps so not sure if shes backed up inside.I agree she does have her quirks and both of them seem to prefer to eat in their own way.Im going to keep an eye on her over the next few days and see if she does the toilet/eats anything as still worried.
cj your axolotl sounds so lovely i would love to see the parading around sounds so cute.
jerome i will look into it and see if its maybe the worms.im going to only feed earthworms next few days and see if it makes a difference and also change the feeding pattern too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1