Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gas bubble?

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
My biggest Axie seems to have gulped quite a bit of air and has been floating on his/her side since yesterday. She/He's still pooping and eating but he/she can't seem to sink or float right side up. I've lowered the water ( to which his/her response was to stretch one arm so it could touch the ground) but haven't fridged the little one, I did cool the water down a little before I left with the frozen cup I refroze some left over blood worms in. How long do you think this will last? Do you guys have pictures of your transparent gas problem-ed axies so I can confirm that this is indeed a gas problem? Mine looks like a 3 part transparent balloon on one side of it's body.

lea

Reaction score
You have done the right thing by lowering the water, he/she wont stress about floating. Mine sometimes use to do this just before he did a poop.....Make sure the water is cool and clean and all should be back to normal soon. If it is a gas bubble it should pass on its own

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Gas bubbles usually pass accordingly with little aid. Lowering the water level was the best idea as gassy axies tend to roll which can be very stressful (can't blame them!). Just keep up with what you're doing and all should be fine :)

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
Good news! The little one was fine when I came home from school today. Seems a little thin but that's probably because it couldn't pick up the worms that were on the bottom for the last two days and could only eat what I fed it directly.

PHEW~ Close call though. The other day my Mom thought it was dead and was about to get rid of it but decided to poke it and it waved it's arms a little bit so she figured she would leave it till I came home. I came home and told her it was just a air bubble and she didn't believe me for awhile until I fed it. lol. Someone could have been a goner :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1