Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Artificial plant question

Hamamelis

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to tell if artificial plants are suitable for axy tanks? I acquired a heap of second hand fabric type plants, a while back, when my Dad gave me an old terrarium full of 'em.

As it turns out the light's broken on my axy tank (bought second hand, with a light fixed in the lid), and the anubias I moved in there is disintigrating, I figured that, at least until I get the light fixed up, fakery is the way to go- but how can I tell if the imitation plants I have are OK?

I obviously don't want to poision my 'lotl, and I've never used artificial plants before, so I don't know if ones made for reptiles are aquarium safe or not. It seems a waste to get rid of them and buy new ones if I don't have to though.

Thanks for any advice, even if it is 'chuck the lot of them!'

layna

Reaction score
I believe people advise silk artificial plants? im not sure though, i have a plastic fake one i got from the pound shop and its never caused any problems :happy:

snuggly time

Reaction score
I chose to use plastic plants from pets at home, that way I know they're aquarium safe. My lotl loves climbing them and its one thing less to worry about keeping alive lol.

shazza

Reaction score
Yes all mine are fake, I have ornaments too.. Never had a problem easy to keep clean as well..

Hamamelis

Reaction score
I'm aware that you can buy artificial aquarium plants, I'm just not sure if ones sold for use with reptiles are designed to be safe for aquatic animals, and I don't have the original packaging to check.

Does anyone know?

layna

Reaction score
Have you tried soaking them in water for a good few days? Are they the dyed kind?
If they discolour the water then i wouldnt use them.

Mortimer

Reaction score
I'm aware that you can buy artificial aquarium plants, I'm just not sure if ones sold for use with reptiles are designed to be safe for aquatic animals, and I don't have the original packaging to check.

Does anyone know?
Hi, I used reptile plants in my tank for the first couple months. I was *promised* by the pet store that they were okay and, at that point in time, I still trusted what people in pet stores told me. Anyway, I never noticed any problems from having the plants in there....other than they made excellent hiding spots for poo (they were pretty large), so I got them out of there and switched to floating plants.

Not sure this is helpful because I had lots of problems with water quality those two months (but I hadn't properly allowed my tank to finish cycling and there was lots of hidden poo and blackworms in the plants). But I didn't notice any signs of stress in my little guy that I related to the plants.

Sharon

Mortimer

Reaction score

Does anyone know?
Also, I did soak them for a couple days before putting them in the tank. There wasn't any discoloration of the water.

hannahll

Reaction score
Hi, I used reptile plants in my tank for the first couple months. I was *promised* by the pet store that they were okay and, at that point in time, I still trusted what people in pet stores told me. Anyway, I never noticed any problems from having the plants in there....other than they made excellent hiding spots for poo (they were pretty large), so I got them out of there and switched to floating plants.

Not sure this is helpful because I had lots of problems with water quality those two months (but I hadn't properly allowed my tank to finish cycling and there was lots of hidden poo and blackworms in the plants). But I didn't notice any signs of stress in my little guy that I related to the plants.

Sharon

Not all things made for reptiles are suitable for fish tanks because when they are designed, they are made with different paints and such other materials that shouldn't be in water all the time since they are designed for reptile tanks (which normally aren't wet)

Also, aside from that, i was always recommended to use silk because some plastic can be sharp. I also find that silk are much easier to clean. When i'm at work, and i have to clean a plastic plant, it falls apart and i just want to throw it away. On that note, i noticed a lot of the plastic plants have little fragments break off and such which could be swallowed by whatever may be living in the tank.

I like my live bamboo best! And Toothless does, too!
hannahll-albums-toothless-all-grown-up-picture27549-imag0455-1.jpg

Last edited:

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
most silk plants are ok.

It won't tell you if any chemicals are being emitted, but fill a bucket, put the plants in and let soak over night. as well as a bucket of the same water with no plants if you want a control group.

Then use a water testing kit to see if the parameters are the same.

Hamamelis

Reaction score
Thanks, they're silk feel, and don't come to bits easily, so I'm not worried about the texture or being eaten.

I've had them soaking for a few days and there's no colour leaching, or any testable nasties in the water, so I'll give 'em a go, thanks!

Mortimer

Reaction score
Not all things made for reptiles are suitable for fish tanks because when they are designed, they are made with different paints and such other materials that shouldn't be in water all the time since they are designed for reptile tanks (which normally aren't wet)

Also, aside from that, i was always recommended to use silk because some plastic can be sharp. I also find that silk are much easier to clean. When i'm at work, and i have to clean a plastic plant, it falls apart and i just want to throw it away. On that note, i noticed a lot of the plastic plants have little fragments break off and such which could be swallowed by whatever may be living in the tank.

I like my live bamboo best! And Toothless does, too!
hannahll-albums-toothless-all-grown-up-picture27549-imag0455-1.jpg

Mine were silk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!