A few questions..

Saphira101

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm planning to get some axolotls sometime in the late summer or early autumn, and I have some questions:

1.) Can I keep two fully grown axolotls together in a 20 gallon "long" aquarium?

2.) Can I use a hang-on-back filter if it's turned to its lowest setting and has filter sponge wrapped around the intake and output?

3.) Can I use fluorescent lighting? It's awfully bright and I hear axies like the dark, but I want to have some plants.

4.) Any plant suggestions?

Thanks guys! ~Saphira :yin-yang:

1.) Can I keep two fully grown axolotls together in a 20 gallon "long" aquarium?

Yes, but bigger is better.

2.) Can I use a hang-on-back filter if it's turned to its lowest setting and has filter sponge wrapped around the intake and output?

Yes, just watch for any gill flapping that doesn't go away. or shortening of the gill stalks. This is usually from being agitated by a current.
You will want to make sure that your filter is still working properly if you wrap it up like that too. Try an old net rubber banded to the intake instead of an actual sponge. And instead of sponge on the output, you can see about siliconing a pile of rocks under it to direct the stream to the side. It's hard to explain that lol. but if you have the filter all the way to the left in your tank and build up some rocks just to the right of it, it will direct the output so that it's not circulating the whole tank hopefully.

3.) Can I use fluorescent lighting? It's awfully bright and I hear axies like the dark, but I want to have some plants.

Yes, Make sure to add some floating plants to the ones you get, it will help block out any to bright light.

4.) Any plant suggestions?

If you are going to have a light, really any plant will work.
I personally keep Java Moss, Java Fern, Elodea, Frog Bit, several speicies of Salvinia, Riccia, as well as several speicies of Anubis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back