Axolotl not feeding

Vickie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tried to feed Axol....

Normally if he isn't hungry he will just ignore the food and walk off... but today he was taking his worms and trying to gulp them down but then spitting them out....

Since I've had them, Axol has been difficult to feed and eats a lot less than Lottie does, but I've never seen him do this.... He is already very skinny, and I'm not sure what to do for the best.... He is still very active and hasn't really had a change in character...

How big is he? What kind of worms are you feeding them?

Could be that he can't seem to swallow the worm, possibly to big? Or he just doesnt like it *Picky eater* have you tried feeding him other things?

Try cutting the worms to mouth width chunks - they might be better for him to chew on :)

What type of worms are you feeding as some types get a bitter taste to them (apparently... I can't say I'd notice if I did do a taste comparison of various worms :eek: lol) but so I am told! Some of mine are fussy eaters (spoiled rotten) & will only eat live blackworms :rolleyes: so I've decided to order 500gms of blackworms to keep them well fed then I'll try & get them onto earthworms again after that - hopefully! Perhaps you could try blackworms if chopping the earthworm doesn't help.

Post a pic of the lotls from side & above if you're worried he's too skinny.

Good luck :)

<3 >o_o< <3

He's around 12-18 months old and 6-7 inches in length, according to his old owner he wont eat anything but wiggly earthworms. I have tried treating them with bloodworm but only managed to Lottie to eat some, Axol will only react to something wiggling under his nose and only if it's been wiggling for a while.

I've just tried to take some decent pictures of top and side but he wont pose for me, as he gone into one of his hides.... So I'll load up what I have of him...

I tried him on a few of the different worms I had of varying size right from little tiddly worms to a far sized worms... So dont think it's a size problem as two of them were less than an inch in length and 1 mm max in girth... Also he has eaten some fat worms in the past....

The frist pic is the day we got him and Lottie, which was 4 weeks ago... he is the skinner one... The second picture if from Saturday when I was sorting their tank out so had moved them to my temp tank....

Attachments

• IMG_20130216_125908-1.jpg
    IMG_20130216_125908-1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 745
I'm pretty new to axolotls, but could their size/shape difference just be a sex difference? Lottie looks rounder, and I'm assuming she is a female? I've learned on here that females are much rounder than males.

He still needs to eat--obviously......but maybe his size isn't as bad as you think??? What do others think?

Oh I know Lottie is a little fattie girl.... I really do try to stop her at three worms every two day but today Axol spat his worms half way across the tank and Lottie decided she was eating those worms too.. So she has had three large worms one medium and a tiny worm.... And had the cheek to ask other half for a 6th worm when he went to take picture of Axol....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back