How do you do water changes with hatchlings?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I need some ideas on how to transfer hatchlings from one container to another so i can do water changes. What is the easiest way? Is there even a easy way? Ive been using the turkey baster but i really hate doing it. I feel cruel doing it but i just cant think of a better way. I tried a net once but i felt like that was even worst! I almost lost a few that way so no more doing that at least till they are bigger!

Any ideas? Thats probably the hardest part of having these hatchlings.

I use a fine mesh strainer, so far it is the easiest way i've found.

I use a fine mesh strainer, so far it is the easiest way i've found.

You dont find it stresses them out when they run out of water? Thats what im afraid of! Im not quick enough to strain them plop them all back in. :p

I have a separate container i use when cleaning tanks/tubes I fill it with the water i'm putting in the clean tank and strain the axi out of the dirty water and put them in the small container while i clean so far none of them have shown signs of stress.

I have a separate container i use when cleaning tanks/tubes I fill it with the water i'm putting in the clean tank and strain the axi out of the dirty water and put them in the small container while i clean so far none of them have shown signs of stress.

Okay thank you, i was scared id be stressing them out. I have multiple tubs of water that i rotate so i always have a tub with fresh water for them. Seems to work out fine i just wasnt sure the best way to move them from one to another: my juvies just let me pick them up no problem so :p

NI do it two ways. Slowly tip their container while emptying out as much of the water as possible. Then pouring them and what's left into a container of fresh water.
I do turkey bast out any waste before I do that. I just make a small swirling motion so the waste Is in one area.

Other wise when they are a 1/2-1"+
I use an ornamental shrimp net. If it won't hurt a shrimp its not going to hurt a baby axie.

I will add, when using a net, always be gentle. Do not just scoop and scoop with babies in the net. The force of a fast scoop and the water pressure will stun small larvae.

NI do it two ways. Slowly tip their container while emptying out as much of the water as possible. Then pouring them and what's left into a container of fresh water.
I do turkey bast out any waste before I do that. I just make a small swirling motion so the waste Is in one area.

Other wise when they are a 1/2-1"+
I use an ornamental shrimp net. If it won't hurt a shrimp its not going to hurt a baby axie.

I will add, when using a net, always be gentle. Do not just scoop and scoop with babies in the net. The force of a fast scoop and the water pressure will stun small larvae.

You dont find that hurts the water with the carry over? I think i may try that for tomorows water change. Trying to get 34 babies from one container to the next with a turkey baster is really annoying. It only takes one to swim and hit another and then i have to sit annd wait for them all to settle before i can try again * this happens several times -.- yet when i use the turkey baster to clean the waste i somehow cant stop sucking them in its like a game then!

You dont find that hurts the water with the carry over? I think i may try that for tomorows water change. Trying to get 34 babies from one container to the next with a turkey baster is really annoying. It only takes one to swim and hit another and then i have to sit annd wait for them all to settle before i can try again * this happens several times -.- yet when i use the turkey baster to clean the waste i somehow cant stop sucking them in its like a game then!

No, I don't see any problems with having some of the old tank water.
Just like you would usually do a partial water change on an established tank.
Usually with making a little whirlpool they try to get away from it so i can suck the waste out without sucking them up.

No, I don't see any problems with having some of the old tank water.
Just like you would usually do a partial water change on an established tank.
Usually with making a little whirlpool they try to get away from it so i can suck the waste out without sucking them up.
Lmao i wish! They go crazy so easily and dont care where they are going, thats normally how they get sucked up. I normally try to clean very carefully around them, as long as i make no sudden movements they are okay, get to close to one and its all over -.- lmao. Once i seperate them into multiple tubs it shouldnt be so bad but right now i have 34 in one tub.

I use Katie's dump and pour, 98% water change method. I've used it for thousands of axies. In the grand scheme of things, that little bit of water doesn't really matter much.

Using a net is fine too. As long as they're not out of water for any longer than necessary, it shouldn't stress them too much. Prepare your 'new' tub first, then you can plop the axie into it with a quick transition.

Get yourself some gladware sandwich containers. Put one or two in each one. It'll make things way easier.

I use Katie's dump and pour, 98% water change method. I've used it for thousands of axies. In the grand scheme of things, that little bit of water doesn't really matter much.

Using a net is fine too. As long as they're not out of water for any longer than necessary, it shouldn't stress them too much. Prepare your 'new' tub first, then you can plop the axie into it with a quick transition.

Get yourself some gladware sandwich containers. Put one or two in each one. It'll make things way easier.

I have 8 containers that i will use soon. Im going to use the pour and dump idea. And i always have multiple tubs full of aged water just in case

I usually dump out what I can, until they start squirming around and I'm afraid I'm going to get a man overboard. Then use the turkey baster to suck out most of the old stuff. I keep 2 per 'entree' size container.

I've come up with a really simple system.

Tools: 1 "intermediate" 12x9 container and a large net.

I rest the net in a corner of the intermediate container. I then take the "dirty" 12x9 which contains the hatchings, and pour the water into the net. The hatchlings stay contained in the net, the dirty water fills the container so the hatchlings are submerged, then I proceed to add a bit of dirty water from another container and wipe the empty dirty container with my hands. After I feel I've de-slimmed it, I pour any remaining water down the sink, replace it where the dirty container originally was, fill it up with fresh, clean water, then just lift the net and put hatchlings back in!

I haven't yet had a problem with injuries via this technique, nor amongst squabbling/accidental injuries from each other.

I've come up with a really simple system.

Tools: 1 "intermediate" 12x9 container and a large net.

I rest the net in a corner of the intermediate container. I then take the "dirty" 12x9 which contains the hatchings, and pour the water into the net. The hatchlings stay contained in the net, the dirty water fills the container so the hatchlings are submerged, then I proceed to add a bit of dirty water from another container and wipe the empty dirty container with my hands. After I feel I've de-slimmed it, I pour any remaining water down the sink, replace it where the dirty container originally was, fill it up with fresh, clean water, then just lift the net and put hatchlings back in!

I haven't yet had a problem with injuries via this technique, nor amongst squabbling/accidental injuries from each other.

Good idea! Mine arent quite in big containers yet. I am trying to keep them in small containers till i know they are eating okay. That way they are all in a small space with lots of food :) it means a water change every feeding but ohwell! They will be a week old tomorow holy ****! Haha
In the next few days(when i have the time to get organized) i will seperate them into many small containers, and once my juveniles go into my tank the little ones will get their big containers! *has it all planned out*

For people who have hatchlings, how much time per day do you spend to take care of them(feeding,harvesting brine shrimp, the tedious filtering the salt water out! Grr! The water changes etc) how do you have everything organized? I have managed to squeaze my morning routine down to 20min but i lile get dressed while im waiting for the shrimp etc lmao. But thats just feeding the hatchlings and water change. At night im looking at about 90minutes to do everyones water change, feed everyone, since i have guppies cycling the tank for me(im paranoid and didnt want to cycle the tank with my axies in it) i do a 20% water change and feed them. I refill all the containers with dechlorinated water, start another batch of brine shrimp and wash containers for the next day!

Is this normal? Im not complaining but if i could manage my time better id be happy!

That's normal ;)

I must say, having the hatchlings all together makes things so much easier. Cleaning is very fast (I have six 12x9 containers with 7-9 hatchlings in each. I've had the hatchlings together since they were born, then split them according to size into more containers, the more they grow.

I had a hard time hatching enough bbs.. I ended up tweezer feeding each hatching chopped white worms (I just used side of tweezers to cut) starting probably around 2 weeks or earlier? (I have a poor memory). With ~55 hatchlings that took ~1hr to tweezer feed each hatching, however I knew nothing was dirtying the water (therefore less water changes), and that each hatchling ate.

That's normal ;)

I must say, having the hatchlings all together makes things so much easier. Cleaning is very fast (I have six 12x9 containers with 7-9 hatchlings in each. I've had the hatchlings together since they were born, then split them according to size into more containers, the more they grow.

I had a hard time hatching enough bbs.. I ended up tweezer feeding each hatching chopped white worms (I just used side of tweezers to cut) starting probably around 2 weeks or earlier? (I have a poor memory). With ~55 hatchlings that took ~1hr to tweezer feed each hatching, however I knew nothing was dirtying the water (therefore less water changes), and that each hatchling ate.

Oh wow! Dedication! I was a little touc and go with the bbs at first but had enough at least for the day though i wasted a lot of eggs at first, now i have a little system that seems to work good! I only have 34 to feed and i hatch plenty every day for at least two feedings(i have troubles keeping them alive in the fridge more then 36hours so normally throw out leftovers after 24) i heard you were suppose to get like 3days if you left them in the brine solution in the fridge. Ohwell.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back