Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bad Water Reading

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Hi, i'm quite worried as i've been using the water test sticks which have been telling be everything is safe BUT after reading how inaccurate they are I got myself a API master test kit.

First off my axolotls look healthy which makes me think this is recent, they also were eating fine sunday, (monday being their day off and i'll feed them later today). I have been having problems finding where they poop but they seem fine.

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.50
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 20

I have performed a 50% water change and had a look though the tank to remove any debris and looked under all the hides etc and cleaned everything as much as I can see. Any other advice? The temp is 17degrees

Last edited:

Tappers

Reaction score
The water changes will help, as will witholding food at the moment. There are a couple of API treatments that would make a difference. Ammolock detoxifies ammonia (as ammonium it's safer but will still test as an ammonia reading) and I've been testing their new Quick Start bacterial starter and it worked a treat on a new set up.

You could simply carry on with the large changes and things will cycle again but with those levels I'd do something faster..

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't use ammo-lock in a new tank. It actually binds ammonia in such a way that it's unavailable to your beneficial bacteria. This will essentially halt your cycle.

Tash, your tank is mid-cycle. Keep doing daily water changes, 20-30% is usually adequate. You can establish how much you need to change by testing your water before and after a water change, and seeing if the levels have come down enough. If not, you need a bigger water change.

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Okay thank you, I already went out and got some unfortuantly I was panicking. I will keep testing and doing water changes to keep an eye on things. My axies do look healthy and aren't showing any signs of stress or behavioural changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!