Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!! Possible morphing Axolotl!!!

Axyfriend

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what's happening too my Axolotl but her gills are "fluff" less and she's starting to grow more active and head for air up the top of her tank more frequent than ever. Her tail is also starting to grow into a point rather than the fin like tail and is smaller than before also. Ill attach the photos but I really want to know if she's possibly sick or if indeed morphing. Her tank mate is completely healthy but I don't know if I should separate them if she is indeed sick or is morphing.. Appetite is normal for the Axolotl in question. The tank water is a normal balance as well so I'm not sure why she would be sick and "fluff" less.

I promise you all that I do NOT believe in forced morphing so if she is this is by her own will and nature, NOT by my own hand.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 344

Minniechild

Reaction score
First things first: What are your water parameters?
Temperature:
pH:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Tank Dimensions:

These will give us an idea on where to move with fixing things. I would discount morphing, but not impaction- PLEASE get rid of that substrate!! Looking at your pics, it's definitely an impaction risk. Play sand from Bunnings, fine silica sand from the pool shop, or even a bare bottom, but I'm guessing at least part of your troubles are from your baby swallowing a few mouthfuls of gravel.
Next question; have you added a new filter or current source to your tank? When this has happened to me in the past, it's been either too much current in the tank/pond, a massive shift in pH (those shells I can see in the background are a likely culprit) or a combination of both.
Hope this gives you a starting point- Please keep us up to date :)!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1