Question: Alarming Test Results, new axolotl owner, freaking out

CaptainScruffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, Ive had my juvenile axolotl maybe a month now, I saved her from a co-worker, she was in a tank with gravel and fish and she seemed pretty unhappy, something got a hold of her foot in the past and it has grown back although not perfectly, anyway, i had to set up an emergency tank to take her in and the tank was mid cycle, i test my water today and the results are alarmingly high,

Ammonia: around 6.0 ppm (between 4.0 and 8.0 on my water test kit)
Nitrite: 0.5ppm
nitrate: 5.0ppm

This is completely unacceptable, im about to remove her and put her in a tupperware container with fresh water, while I do a 25% water change, is that enough for now?
I also bought API Quick Start to introduce more benificial bacteria if the problem is from an ammonia spike from the "half-cycled tank", I was going to put it in after her water change but when i do her water change tmrw, will it make the safe start pointless?

Thank you for all replies, im on edge because I want only the best for my axolotl and these results are alarming. any other advice is greatly appreciated!:sick::sick:

I agree you should remove her... but i'd do a 50% water change on the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back