New Guy!! 1 Axolotl, having problems with his back legs!?

jburns2422

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! I have 1 axolotl and he is having problems with his back legs:confused: he acts like they are paralized?? I have googled the **** outta this issue and havn't found anything yet! Any ideas?? Well I'm here to learn and listen and to have fun! See ya around:happy:

Last edited:
Are you able to post pictures or a video?

Axolotls often look like they were made then had legs stuck on afterwards so they don't quite know how to use them. A visual of what is going on would help people see if there is a problem or if it is just normal Axolotl wonkiness!

This isn't something that he's always done, he's always been very graceful and Happy and then within 2 days he went from axie to.....what he is now:confused: he acts like he can't use his back legs, keeps them stuffed parrallel to his body but when I touch them with the tweezers he responds to even the smallest touch?? He is currently fridged and has been for almost a month now, still eats (frozen brine) just tried bloodworms tonight and that other frozen shrimp (can't think of the name as of now) he eats, but I have to make it "wiggle" in front of him, (feels to me like he's on life support) I will keep on doing this and hopefully he pulls through but any and all advice is appreciated!! Attempting to post pics now. I've done a full work-up on the parameters and everything is within range I also have a pic.

This isn't something that he's always done, he's always been very graceful and Happy and then within 2 days he went from axie to.....what he is now:confused: he acts like he can't use his back legs, keeps them stuffed parrallel to his body but when I touch them with the tweezers he responds to even the smallest touch?? He is currently fridged and has been for almost a month now, still eats (frozen brine) just tried bloodworms tonight and that other frozen shrimp (can't think of the name as of now) he eats, but I have to make it "wiggle" in front of him, (feels to me like he's on life support) I will keep on doing this and hopefully he pulls through but any and all advice is appreciated!! Attempting to post pics now. I've done a full work-up on the parameters and everything is within range I also have a pic.

Well I can't seem to figure out how to upload my pics off my phone to the site! Sorry I'm electronics illiterate

If you act like your going to write a response, click on the second icon from the left if the picture is on your phone or the icon to the very left if you are about to take the picture. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363931638.739230.jpg

Has he been in a smallish tub in the fridge? Maybe he's not used to using them if he's not had much space.

What was the original reason for fridging him?

A month is a long time to carry out fridge treatment.. Concerns me :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back