Yet another cycling question

Ive tested again today and i think my tank HAS cycled. Do i need to do anything else or am i okay to add my lottle?
Heres the results;
ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte - 0 ppm
NitrAte - 10ppm
and some pics with flash on/off
res1.jpg res2.jpg

Sorry the pics above are small, here they are bigger :)
res1.jpg

res2.jpg

Does it not matter about adding ammonia now? I've been on google and theres lots of conflicting information, some say its fine, others say the ammonia needs to be added everyday

Does it not matter about adding ammonia now? I've been on google and theres lots of conflicting information, some say its fine, others say the ammonia needs to be added everyday

Once your axie is in there it will add ammonia for you

Yes, I know he will, but I dont want to put him in straight away as I want to be 100% sure its safe for him (should have explained that, I apologise)
Would I need to add ammonia still, as a 'pretend' fish?
And if so, how much?

thanks, i think i added to much though, its reading somewhere between 4 and 8 ppm :/

Indeed! On the plus side I've just tested again and it's dropped to 2ppm now so if by the end of the day (and it's only 10.45am) it's back to 0 ppm then stitch has a new home finally, WHOOP! :cool:

So I think I've defiantly messed up my tank! The ammonia is now reding at 4ppm and the nitrIte is lighter/brighter than any colour on the chart so I'm taking it to be 5ppm or more!
Does anyone know how long that could take to cycle through?

The nitrite and ammonia are still defiantly there, this isnt a good sign :/
im really struggling to cycle this tank and every time i think im there, something goes wrong!

So ive tested again this morning and the results are better, i hope this means my cycle is established but i dont have a clue :O
new test.jpg

The ammonia is certainly better. That nitrite is difficult to read. It's not really any of them hahaha ;)

The ammonia is certainly better. That nitrite is difficult to read. It's not really any of them hahaha ;)

haha i know its literally off the chart, but if it clears in a few days im going to put stitch in as it is working, just slowly, i think i overloaded it with too much pure ammonia :eek:

How's your tank looking now?

Yes, adding too much ammonia (which is identical to adding too many fish at once) will force your tank to cycle again, as there isn't enough beneficial bacteria to deal with larger amounts of ammonia.

There will be as much beneficial bacteria to deal with the normal amount of ammonia put in the tank often. As soon as that amount jumps too high, not enough bacteria means it can't get processed quickly, so that's why you got ammonia and nitrate readings >0ppm for a while :)

Hi, yes after adding too much ammonia it took around 4 days for the ammonia and nitrite to be 0 again. I then did a 20% water change to reduce the nitrates and added stitch, he's now in his new fully cycled tank all happy :)
On another note I did my twice weekly water test on the little lottles tank to find it had cycled by itself and the ammonia had never gotten to dangerous levels so that's an added bonus of not needing to do water changes so often :) whoop!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back