Axolotl introduction

brittanystephen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

wondering if it's a bad idea to introduce a juvenile axolotl to my very passive adult axolotl. hoping they can share a 40 gallon tank together (with plenty of hiding spots).

any recommendations? will the adult try to eat the baby?

I wouldn't recommend it. Even passive lotls can eat smaller tank mates/harm them.

I feared such a response. The reason I was even considering it is I have seen several other posts regarding someone introducing a "teenaged" axie to an adult axies tank given adequate space and hides. Our axis seems incredibly passive, but it could just be lazy? He's mostly eaten shrimp pellets and similar (nonmotile) types of food for his whole life due to the fact that he simply wont eat things that move. We've tried tiny fish and worms but he seems to just ignore them unless they are killed and/or held in front of his face. He's not blind or anything; he just prefers to be hand fed and to not have to work for his food.. at all. Hah! Perhaps I won't risk it. He just seems lonely..

Or you can wait till the juvie is about the same size, maybe slightly smaller (but not too much) and then do an introduction. :) They grow pretty fast, so you don't have to wait for years, luckily.

Yes that would be perfectly fine

I would wait until they're similar in size. If you're stuck and need to add the juvenile into the tank you could always put a tank divider in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back