Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can someone identify my salamander things?

AFRANKS

Reaction score
I bought what I thought was a mud puppy from a man in the mall. I got two of them. At first they had these gills and tassel looking things from their heads and now ONE of the creatures gills are gone I bought them in water and the man told me they would live in water their whole life. They still both swim but the gill things are just disappeared. I put a rock in its cage incase he wanted to stand outside of the water but what is going on and why isn't the other one changing what do I need to do I have before pictures and I can take pictures of them now. I feed them regualarly and I change their water when I'm supposed to. Just have no idea in general. HELPP:(

Blaz

Reaction score
They are probably tiger salamanders and most pet stores, when the tiger salamanders are larvae, they sell them as muddpuppies.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As everyone has said, it is probably a larval tiger going through metamorphosis. If that is the case, an appropriate land area will be needed - once metamorphosed (usually takes a couple of weeks) it can no longer be maintained aquatically. Post pictures and review the section of this article that deals with care during metamorphosis: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Does your animal(s) look like the larval tiger pictured in the article? If it does and now has lost its gill buds, it is time to move to a terrestrial set-up where it can burrow. Adult tigers can drown and are never found in water except during breeding season...and then in shallow vernal pools.

Salamanders are like people - they age, change, grow-up, etc., at different rates.

Here is a recent discussion with some photos: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...tiger-salamander-nearing-completion-newb.html. All purchased at malls.

Last edited:

Minnarden

Reaction score
Was it a mall in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
I also have some from him. I just set up a large aquarium for them. If you plan not to keep him let me know please. A lot of people have been letting them go in the LSU lakes. Please don't do this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!