Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating Axolotl

ShelbyS

Reaction score
Hello! I just bought my first Axolotl a few days ago. He is very small and today I noticed him floating a lot.Before setting up my tank the guy at the pet store said that gravel would be fine so I bought gravel and then when I went in to get my Axolotl a different guy said I should change it to sand or bare bottom. So yesterday I changed it to sand and put some of the old gravel in panty hose so I can keep the good bacteria. I put my Axolotl in the fridge a few hours ago since that's what most people were saying to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Gravel is very bad for axies, many pet shops unfortunately don't know how to care for them properly and advertise gravel. Sand is OK as long as it's soft and the grains aren't too big.

He might have swallowed some of the gravel which causes impaction. Putting axolotls in the fridge slows their metabolism down so they might void their bowels. This could get rid of any blockages. Keep his water clean, do 100% water changes at least once a day and keep the container he's in dark. Are you using dechlorinator too?

How old is the axolotl? Have you got any photos you can post of him and also the floating? What size tank is he in and what filter etc?

Also it would be helpful if you could post the following:
pH:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Tank temperature:
If you don't have a test kit, the best thing to buy is an API Master Kit from your local pet shop or online.

Sorry it's a lot of questions but the more we know, the better we can help your little lotl. :D

ShelbyS

Reaction score
When I got my water tested they said it was perfect but I just bought some at home test strips and will be checking that shortly. I'm not sure how to put pictures on here I tried but couldn't figure it out.He is in a 20 gallon tank and the filter is Tetra Whipser, Also I used a dechlorinator.The sand is very fine and soft. He was fine yesterday but today he just started floating.

snuggly time

Reaction score
You can add pictures by going to the advanced reply. If you scroll down there is a 'Manage Attachments' button. Click that and it lets you choose files and then upload them.

Can you get hold of an API mater test kit? The liquid tests are more reliable then the test strips.

Kerry M

Reaction score
You can also post pictures if you use the Tapatalk app that can be downloaded from the App Store. You can take photos directly to download them on the forums or messages, you can also access the photos stored on your phone.

ShelbyS

Reaction score
Thanks. :happy: I was not able to find that kind of test kit. Here are a few pictures. Also I noticed when I changed the water this morning that there wasn't any waste. Could that possibly mean he's constipated and that's what is causing the floating?

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_131417_148.jpg
    IMG_20130316_131417_148.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_20130316_122107_254.jpg
    IMG_20130316_122107_254.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 917

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Thanks. :happy: I was not able to find that kind of test kit. Here are a few pictures. Also I noticed when I changed the water this morning that there wasn't any waste. Could that possibly mean he's constipated and that's what is causing the floating?

Gravel will be ok if its bigger in its mouth and the gravel you used was that sand? if so dont use gravel as they accidentally swallow it , or other way around give us your water parameters for more info

CJ1981

Reaction score
Constipation can make Axolotls float yes.

API master test kits are available from Ebay and Amazon.

Korney Volkov

Reaction score
seems like sometimes my axolotl floats while sleeping.
i've touched her 2 or 3 times before she woke up and gone to the bottom of tank
:) hope your axolotl is fine

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
seems like sometimes my axolotl floats while sleeping.
i've touched her 2 or 3 times before she woke up and gone to the bottom of tank
:) hope your axolotl is fine

Thats a scary situation! The first time it happened i thought my axie was dead! Those buggers are great at playing dead! Even as babies my babies contantly pretend their dead(i know its a predatory instinct)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I read an article on here the other day that suggested that some axxies float because of their genetics. I wasn't quite sure what genes were affected, or how it worked, but it does suggest there is such a thing as a floaty lotl.

At the same time, it's well worth checking it out. You're definetely doing the right thing. Keep us posted :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1