Feeding questions and some suggestions please!

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

So, all of my babies are doing well, but they are getting to the point where they need to be feed more than once a day.

On the days I work, I do 12 hour shifts, so once a day is all I can do. :(

Is there some type of live food I can put in with them, other than BBS, that will live longer than 12 hours so I can keep them better fed than now? Any suggestions would be great!:D Thanks!

Daphnia if you can find them will work, they are fresh water micro organisms that they would eat in the wild.

Daphnia is not to hard to culture, iv done it myself and I am 15. All you need is a separate tank or bucket with dechlorinated water and slight air bubbles (one or two baubles per second), for food they will eat algae, green water, or bacteria, and they will reproduce at a fair speed

Take a quick search on google you can buy large numbers for sale at a fair price

I'd get them on blackworms as soon as you can. You can cut them up into 1/2 cm bits and they'll live 12 hours or so. Now into my 4th brood, still raising them all(150 or so), that's all I feed them. I don't bother to cut them up any more. They will fight over the blackworms inevitably and eventually tear them apart any way. How many do you have and how old are they? If I recall correctly they're at about 4 weeks right?

They are actually 6 weeks now, and are finally getting their front legs in, the older ones anyway. I think because of the cooler water temp, at 63 degrees which is what my bedroom is at, things are just taking longer. I only have 11 wee ones, though contemplating getting a few more eggs at some point! lol ;)

Blood worms would probably be easier to find, though I would still love daphnia since I know now it will last days in there. :D

Is it weird that my bbs live for 12+hours? I feed mine in the morning before school and before bed and some nights the bbs are still alive when i clean their water.

Mine are 10days old between 1.5cm-2cm. The big ones just started to get front leg buds(i saw them today yay!)
I keep mine at 62F it seems like the warmest i can get the water. I leave a mini heater on all day in front of the tubs to try to warm it up to 66-68 but it does not happen ever!
How long do you think it will be till i can start feeding them bloodworms? I have read about 1.5" they would be big enough. But i dont know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back