Substrate -tile?

Canaveral

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Canaveral
Hi all, I've been trying to find a substrate solution. I know sand is supposed to be okay since it passes....but I can't imagine that passing sand would be enjoyable at all, so I'm staying away from that.

So my question is, what other alternatives are there? Would it be reasonable to get something like natural rock tile from home depot? What about something made of culinary-grade plastic like various kitchen utilities (cutting boards, drying mesh, etc)?

I put slate in my tank! it came out quite nice

Slate works well...

just make sure they are actually natural rock
and there is nothing added to them that would leech into your system.

I'd also scrub and soak them.

The usual way make sure a natural rock won't effect your water chemistry is to pour vinegar all over it. If it bubbles, then it has something in it, or on it that will dissolve in your water and it will screw with your water chemistry.

I use a mixture of sand and natural, dark slate tiles. The axies like the slate because it's dark— the only trouble is it does making cleaning a little difficult because you can't see the mess properly!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back