T.Marmoratus juveniles ready for water?

Squirt88

Reaction score
Country
England
I have a few juvenile T.Marms and I was wondering when I should move them to either a semi-aquatic or completely aquatic. They are averagely 6-7cm long (including tail). I am not sure of the age but if anyone could determine it from their size it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there!
I'd offer them rather shallow water, about 0,5 cm and the possibility to leave the water and hide on a not wet but moist place. I don't keep my T. maroratus from last year in water, but in their boxes, there is sometimes a little bit of water an at least some of them submerge in it from time to time. Maybe they get used to this new(old) media and enjoy it, but I wouldn't force them to stay in it. When they like it, you can raise the water level, but put a lot of plants in there, just in case.
Greets
Tom

Hi Squirt!
My youngsters are from 2012 so they are about 10, 11 months old now. I keep the adults in an aquarium with some possibilities to leave the water. They often use these exits, but always return to the water after some time. The young newts are often fed in the shallow water, so they go there to eat. After that, they leave the water and hide on land.
Greets
Tom

Ok thanks maybe I will try to temp them into water with food see if they like it, they generally stay away from the water bowl but prefer dark damp places.

Hi ,Tom has offered some good advice,I however have 3 localities of marmoratous and all 3 types are living together aquatic no problem they do have an island ,but there is no shelter on it and the aquatic part is heavily planted including the surface,
They are happy and spend alot of the time at the surface

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back