Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl housing question

extremefish

Reaction score
So you can keep axolotls in plastic tubs? Like a 6 Qt?
How many can be housed in them?
I know probably only one but thought id ask that.

And i also know there cannibalistic till a certain age correct?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THESE GUYS GOING!! They look so cool!!

Chlorophilian

Reaction score
A plastic tub should be fine, though I would recommend using a material you know to be inert, so nothing leaches into the water during the long period of time it is standing in your tank.
One thing I'm worried about is the size of the tub you're talking about. Six quarts is only about 1.5 gallons, assuming you're in the US. While this might be appropriate for very young axolotls, full grown individuals generally require about 10 gallons per animal.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
You have eggs correct?

There is no problem keeping them in 6 quarts...
I prefer the larger 15 or 20qt tubs myself.
Just hatching you can keep quite a few in just one.
When they start to grow more, you will probably want to start to seperate them by at least size similarity.

I wouldn't put more then about four to six 1/2" babies in a 6qt
two 1" babies in a 6qt

Babies i'm growing out for a show I will keep in 6qts, one baby per tub
usually until they are about 3" then they get tossed into a Juvie or Sub-Adult Tank.

They are usually canibals until juvie size of 3-4" though i've gotten ones that cannibalize limbs when that size or even larger.
And don't think because you have an abundance of food they won't lol
even with a constant supply of blackworms and daphnia expect about 20 leg casualties per 100 babies. Quite a bit more if you don't make sure to supply enough food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1